Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear spare carrier?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by SubYuman, Aug 27, 2002.

1. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Anyone make one for 92-98 Sub?

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

has anyone made one for a 73-91 sub? i've been thinking that would be a good way to hold my tire. should work for all years to. but what about all that weight out back , not like they weigh much but the subs do have a lot of overhanging weight, so maybe on the roof is a better place.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i would love one for my 89 sub, it has barn doors so i'd love to see one built.

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Just keep it in the back of the Sub. If you put it on top you're raising your center of gravity and if you put it on the back you're adding to your rear overhang. The way I see it if you can't fit everything the K5 guys have inside of your Sub you're taking too much. Just my opinion.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I recently saw a nice one on the back of a 2nd Gen Burb that was made by Valley Industries. But their web site doesn't show any tire carriers now. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif www.valleyindustries.com

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

2nd gen suburban? weren't those made in the '40s? LOL yeah i just keep mine inside.

7. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Well the guy who makes the rears for the k5's, well they will bolt right to a sub. True your over hang is more but if you place it up higher then you won't have to reduce your exit angle. There is a guy running around moab with a white and gold sub with a 38 spare out back and he is kikkin a#%!!!!
    As for the weight well your factory spare weighs more then any spare on an alluminum rim. The roof is a center of gravity problem and just try to hike it up there on a well lifted Sub. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Bring a step ladder cause your gonna need it. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

8. badzr2

badzr2 Registered Member

If any of you get the four wheel adventures magazine from 4wheel parts, they had a picture of that white and gold sub on the cover. its looked pretty good. the only downside is that if you want to open the rear doors, you first have to open the tire carrier. It looks pretty cool, and I'm thinking about getting one, because there just isn't too much room in the back with the 3rd row and a speaker box. I'd think its the same type that the K5's use.

Paul
    '90 Suburban, stock /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

9. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Saw it and loved it!!!!!!