Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear speaker wires

Discussion in 'Audio' started by CaptCrunch, Aug 8, 2001.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Maybe one of you guys can help me... or especially some of the guys that work in car audio. I can not for the life of me find what wire is which on my 87 Blazer for the rear speakers. Which one is positive and which is negative? The speakers sound the same pretty much w/ them hooked up, but would like to make sure I have the right ones hooked up. Now where I look has the color of the wires listed... Haynes, Mitchell, Alldata... nada!

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

You should have yellow and brown on the drivers side and light blue and dark blue on the passenger side. POSITIVES are the brown and dark blue. Good luck.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

WAHOO!!! You're the man Ryan! Thanks

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Just doin' ma job sir. lol

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well hell i didnt know what colors where what... i was just gonna tell you to hook one up and see if it pushes out or pulls in.. if it pulls in on a bass note then you have it backwords...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

6. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

Dudes,
    A guy at a car audio shop here told me how to make a little tester for polarity. It goes like this
    Take a battery (AA or C)
    Now get a piece of speaker wire about 2 feet long
    Strip the ends and tape one wire to the + and one wire to the - on the battery.
    Now strip off the other ends of the speaker wire and when you touch these leads to the terminals of the speaker it will push the cone out if you are pos to pos. It will pull the cone in if you are pos(batt) to neg(spkr). I used this on my rear speakers to figure out the polarity and since the connector only snaps on one way, I finally had figured out which was which.
    Hope this helps ya in the future.
    Bowtied

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, you're right. The battery trick is a neat one. Its easier with a "D" battery though as it makes the speaker move a little more and its easier to see.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

ive always used a 9v battery to do that... its also a good thing to have if you are looking at used subs to buy.. this way you can see if they are locked up or have a burnt voice coil...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]