Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear spings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Oct 1, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well I want to redo my rear suspension with now blocks 4in shackly flip and a 2½in lift spring I also want to do 6in BDS front. Im gonna order "custom" spring and I still have to learn more about spring rates but I was also thinking why go witha 52in sping? I know alot of guys like the 57in fords but what about GMn 56in? Has anyone converted to a 56in sping? I was wondering what would be involved and what the pros and cons would be /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

I ordered stock springs from JC Whitney. They are 8-leaf 2000# max load rated. They are not marked as 56" long on the web site but they are. I flipped the overload and installed a zero-rate. I also moved the axle back 1 1/2" while I was at it, to help with my Sub's bad departure angle.

I only have a 4" lift so it sits real nice. All this was also made much easier since Sub's already have holes in the frame 4" further back. Just slap a shackle flip bracket up there and call it good. This may not be tall enough for you but thats what I did. Hope it helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I put 56s on mine and I like them. I made a spring hanger that was 1 inch farther back to compensate. I think they may flex more than a 52.

see it flexed here

There is also some pics of my hangers and the drawings for them on my webshots.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

so all you did was put the shackle flip back 1in and they fit? it dosent change the wheelbase any does it?