Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear spoiler deflecting exhaust gases??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bad andy, May 14, 2003.

1. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

a friend of mine drives a 90 k5, hes got dual exhaust exiting under the bumper and can't drive with the window down without exhaust sucking right in the back. i seen some k5s with spoilers on the back of the removable top and we were wondering if this would help keep the exhaust gases out the window while driving, does anybody know if it helps?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have heard that it helps(and helps keep the rear window clean) but I've had my exhaust exit at 90 degrees behind the tires, 45 degrees, and straight out the back and with all three I can smell the same amount of fumes, so hopefully the wing will work...

3. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

those deflectors do work. My dad has one no his 78 and you can never smell any exhaust with the rear window open. For that purpose I say they work great.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

tells you a lot about aerodynamics doesn't it? air swirling and all.

5. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

great!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thanks a lot for you input guys. i wasn't sure if they worked or not i thought it might just be another piece of crap that companys tell you to buy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got one on my truck (finally) and it does help, but does not completely eliminate the exhaust gasses. My pipes (duals) exit behind either tire.

Seems to keep the rear window cleaner, but accelerating from a stop, you will still smell the exhaust.

They were a factory option, and Suburban and K5 pieces are one and the same.

7. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info, i'm thinkin about getting one for my truck too

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have no tail pipes at all, just stops at the Flowmasters. I had the spoiler on there and took it off for fear of ripping it off on a tree branch or vine and damaging my top. Now at slower speeds I get exhaust smell inside. I never run w/ the back glass up. Its not that bad to me, but others riding w/ me disagree. Going down the road its not bad, in town I get the smell, on the trail I rarely smell anything.

So yes they do help. I just run too tight of trails to keep it on at the height mines at. Also why I dont run a light bar.

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

when i had my rear exits, you would get high from the fumes it was so bad...and i have my deflector turned almost verticle

the aerodynamics of the vehicle creates a vacume behind it...thats what sucks the fumes in...best thing u can do is run it out the side...thats what i did and havnt smelled any yet