Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear spring bushings & Shackle Flip mounting bolts

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by POFF, Dec 7, 2002.

1. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

Stephen,

I do not know if you remember me, I ordered the shackle flip for the 1970 K-20 with HD rear suspension, I had the extra bracket with my rear spring hanger. It looks like no problem to fab new brackets. Well anyhow, I just installed my shackle flip and everything went well until I got to the bushings. I got a set of Energy 3-2106 rear spring bushings. The bushings are 1 1/2" O.D. and fit the springs and shackles fine. The problem is the I.D. of the metal bushings are 9/16" and my front spring bolt and the spring to shackle bolt are 5/8". The shackle to flip bracket bolts and bushings are 9/16" and no problem. I went to the local 4x4 places and to put it simply, they were Idiots. From what I could tell from looking at the book they do not list my bushings. Do you have bushings for my truck. My rear springs are stock.

Also, I broke a mounting bolt when I was torqueing (sp?) them. Just wanted to make sure nobody else had the same problem. If it's a bad batch I want to replace them all. If not I'll just replace that one. Or, was I over tightening them? I was using 100 ft-lbs with a fairly new Snap-on torque wrench.

Thanks for your help,
    POFF

B.T.W.: Any one else have this bushing problem?

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

im gonna guess you had a bad bolt, I put mine on my 72 with a 450 lb ft impact gun and rattled til they wouldnt tighten any more, and i didnt break any of them.

3. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

Well I called Energy and they sent me some 5/8" I.D. sleeves. I just had to cut them to length. I replaced the bolt and hopefully it's fine. Haven't got it together yet. The spring hanger on the passenger side was wasted. Spend all morning welding the cracks, making the hole 5/8" instead of 1" and welding up the holes from the cutting torch of the Idiots who cut the rivets to half-ass fix it the first time.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That must be an old truck variation, I haven't seen anything different than the 9/16 mounting bolt, till now.
    The bolt must have been a fluke, we've tested the 1/2" bolts well over 100ft-lbs before they broke. Get me your name and we'll send you a new one. At least you'll have a full set. We're not set up to drill the 5/8" bolts right now but we might be able to get it later. We might be able to source a Gr5 bolt for it.

5. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

Actually the shackle to shackle flip bolt is 9/16" , the other two are 5/8". I got the springs on but it started raining yesterday so I still need to torque all the bolts and put the u-bolts on. 1/2" GR8 bolts are only like 50 cents. I just wanted to makes sure you hadn't gotten a bunch of broken ones, like a bad batch. Thanks though.