Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear spring location?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crowley, Feb 6, 2004.

1. crowley

crowley Registered Member

I'm planning on installing a set of 60" springs in the rear of my '87 with a shackle flip. I'm tossed between re-mounting the factory sprin hangers, or moving the springs in board, directly under the frame, like toyotas. Anyone have any input, good or bad, that would help me make up my mind???
    Thanks!

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I would not mount the springs under the frame due to the fact that the frame is not boxed. Mounting the springs on the bottom of the frame which is nothing more than "C" channel would put all the stress in the wrong location of the frame.

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would not mount the springs under the frame due to the fact that the frame is not boxed. Mounting the springs on the bottom of the frame which is nothing more than "C" channel would put all the stress in the wrong location of the frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like he said Unless you BOX your Frame I wouldn't hang your springs under the frame, although if you did BOX your Frame and hang them that way you would get great FLEX!
    Bill

4. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

i agree with all the above /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I moved my springs in board and did box the frame where the springs mount. I think it is important when you box a section of the frame to fish mouth the ends of your boxing plates so the stress is relieved in a consistent manner. If not you will create a shear point. Mine are fish mouthed and bent in so they cross the lower web as the they taper down. I talked to some engineers that work where I do and they suggested this to be the best way. If you want I can post some pics for you.

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i would like to see some pics of the plate u used to box the frame w/.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm sure you've seen my opinion on frame boxing in other posts, so I won't say anything more than that I wouldn't box it. The stabilizing effect you need is better achieved via. a cross member rather than boxing. Also, my buddy Mat with the orange Ford has had his in boarded since around 1999 without boxing the frame. He's had no trouble and he beats it unmercifully...