Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear spring mounts 1/2 or 1 ton ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by njkrause, Oct 13, 2005.

1. njkrause

njkrause Registered Member

Mar 15, 2005
    I noticed that if you used 1/2 ton rear spring mounts on a 1 ton truck this could be used as a small lift. Are there any problems with using this 1/2 ton piece on a truck that I want to use for towing?

I am trying to build a 1 ton 4wd crew cab that has some sand capability with some tall tires (38-40), while retaining the ability to tow. I am thinking of using 52's in the front with fender trimming and would like to find a way to use factory rear springs. I am toying with the idea of dropping both front and rear spring mounts for the rear springs to keep the tension style spring for towing.

Right now the truck has 8 inch lift springs front and rear with 37's. I would like 39.5-40's with the same ride height, a better ride, with towing capability. Will probably run overload rear springs with a pin on overload pad to the frame so that they will not be in use unless towing.

Let me know what you think, thanx
  2. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

Aug 25, 2004
    One word ... Yes. You can not use 1/2T-3/4T sping hanger on a 1T because the offset is different. The 1/2T-3/4T sping spacing is actually a little wider that a 1T. You will need to get 2wd or 4wd hangers and bolt them in for a rear shackle flip. Either factory or aftermarket replacement like ORD's.

If you are towing I would go with ORD over factory because you can replace the flimsy shackle setup with something beefy.