Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear spring options...what else can be used except...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Aug 22, 2002.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I know that people have used the 56" springs from the older 3/4 tons(a little stiff), 57" springs from the f-150's( flexy...but they need to be drilled to moved the axle back), and some people have talked about using the 63" springs from a later model k1500(super flexy...a little too long and the front hanger needs to be moved forward and custom mounts for the rear hanger). Has anyone ever used a different spring??? Thanks for the input, Pete.

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

cant remember for the life of me now but somebody here has s-10 springs on a blazer...maybe the person will see this and reply

Later

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    somebody here has s-10 springs on a blazer...maybe the person will see this and reply

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be me, unless someone else has done it as-well.
    The S-10 spring pack is modified from stock and installed in the front. (52" long, from eye to eye and off-sets the axle forward)

63" springs are installed in the back. Front hanger moved forward, and a modified ORD shackle flip is used for the rear hanger.

Thats one option- I guess.
    It's a bit of an open ended question, what exactly are you looking for?

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I want to get rid of the 52's in the rear. As of right now I have my mind set on the 63's. Do you have any pics of your rear spring setup? I pretty much have everything drawn out the way I want it, but it would be nice to see someone else's setup.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Crappy pics
    Thats all I have right now, better ones are in the works tho'.

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i knew you would reply, silly me i had forgotten who it was...

by the way that pic link doesnt work for me, it comes up with a java script webpage

Later

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Fixed it, forgot to take the "http:/" thing off

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

'91 model 52"ers with the teflon pads and lighter spring rate. They sure flex a lot better than my old '79s did and require no mods. Works well enough for my normal range of wheeling.

9. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

Twiztid, how much lift if any did you get from the springs up front. And what kind of modifications did you have make to them. Your "crappy pics" as you call them are too dark for me to really make any heads or tails from. I'm more concerned about the front then the rear right now, and trying to get some ideas.

Thanks,
    Kirk

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

was just lookin for info on this. I will need to swap srings in future to lose my blocks. but I need 6" of spring lift. do you know if this would stll work if I used 6" rear springs that were 63"? i know it wouldn't twist as well, but I have 44's and cant loose any lift but want to lose blocks. currently have 2" rancho, 4" blocks and shackle flip. 10" of lift. was gonna just get 56" rears but thought the longer, the better. even with my lift. what you think?

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Henry, I have decided on the 63's. I will move the front hanger forward 2" and down 1"; this will allow me to move the axle back 3" and gain a little bit of lift in the process. Also, I am going to modify my ORD flip to fit over the body mount hole bump on the frame in the rear. I still need to get a set of the springs so I can determine how long to make the shackle's. I am going to try and pick up a set next weekend.

12. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I am just wondering if I go through all the work to put 63" springs on, is it even gonna help. If I have to use 6" rearched springs, is it gonna flex any different than just going 56" or 52" springs? how are those front shock hoops comin? do you come to the cats in summer too?

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

they should fit on my 69 shoiuldnt they. mine are 52 inches in the rear. how do they hold up with the top on?

thanks

nathan

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I think superlift makes a lifted 63" spring!? I canned the shock hoop's; the design was great and would of been an awesome piece to make, but they would of taken to much time to make and the price would not weigh very well compared to the Ford shock towers. I just got back from camping on Lake George this past weekend. I usually go up like every other weekend, but working on the truck and yard every weekend has held me back from really doing anything. I just put a deposit on a winter house in Hunter for this coming winter season, so I will be up every weekend from Nov. 15th-April 15th. The guy Rob with the red K5 that was at the UCP ride is from Amsterdam and wheels alot by him. I want to try and get in touch with him once my truck is back together and check out the trails. I will get in touch with you before the first weekend I go up, so I can swing by and check the progress of the truck and shoot he shlt.

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The stock 63" from the IFS trucks are pretty darn close to the stock 52" - as-far as lift goes. But they are far more flexier. I ended up useing Super-lift 3" kit for the IFS trucks, and removed the 1/2" thick over-load leaf. I really like how these turned out. And because the spring hanger moves forward and down, along the frame rail, net-lift is about 4-5".

Keep inmind, the pics from the link above are on a '74 Jimmy. The frames changed in '81, they moved the body mounts out-board.
    This pic Shows the relocated front mount and stock cross member on the '74. The 90-deg bracket was moved forward and bolted into place reuseing the stock rivet holes to locate it. The rmaining bolt holes for the U-shaped spring hanger were drilled useing the bracket as a template.

16. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I just installed the 57" f150 springs this weekend. To accomodate the 1.5 inches of forward offset I just drilled a new hole in the spring pearch and top plate. Worked out great. I didn't get quite the lift I needed with the shackle flip and longer shackles so I am going to have some 1.5 inch blocks made and buy longer center pins and bolt them to the springs. Man you want to talk about FLEXY!!!! I am running 38.5's with 6 inches suspension and 2 inches body lift, and these springs are going to require some SERIOUS fender trimming!

Mike

17. My friend's got a set of Skyjacker Softride 6" lift 63" springs that he bought and never installed. He wants to get rid of them, let me know if you are interested. He also has a set of 8" 52" Skyjacker Softrides he wants to get rid of. Let me know. Later

18. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Those 6" skyjacker's are a little to much lift for me with the shackle flip, but I think they would be good for Henry's(bablazer's) truck.

19. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Which 57's did you get 3+1 or 4+1 and how long of a shackle are you running? I'd like to see some pics of your setup, I love my 57's too!