Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear spring question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chrisb420, Nov 28, 2004.

1. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

hey everybody, the other day i found set of leaf springs in my grandfathers garage and i wanted to ask your opinions before i tried to install them in my truck. first off i have an 86 k5 with a 2.5" set of front lift springs and blocks in the rear. the springs i found are the heaviest springs i have ever handled they are 56" from eye to eye and they have 8 leafs plus an overload i believe they came from a 1975 1 ton pickup anyway i was going to try and put them in and see how much lift they gave but i wanted to ask if maybe this may be to big of spring for the truck i dont really care if it rides a little rough like over speed bumps but i was thinking maybe this would be to much stress on the frame any suggestions are appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If those are 56" springs, then your going to have to move your rear spring hanger back as your blazer has 52" springs.

3. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

would there be any benefits to moving it back or would it just make sense to buy a new set of 52's

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

the 56's will flex better and you have the option of extending the wheelbase 4" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

In my opinion, its a personal preference. 56's will be a little more flexy, but with the springs you described, I highly doubt that.

6. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i dont know if the springs have any flex they barely budged when i stepped on them and i am 200 lbs. i bet each spring weighs 80-90 lbs.

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

If you leave all 8 leafs in there they will be stiff as hell, are you wanting to do a shackle flip for 4" of lift? if so then remove every other leaf in the pack, will flex like mad /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

if i do the shackle flip would i still need to move the hanger back, i was thinking that if i move the hanger wouldnt that also shift the rear axle out of position would the wheel stay in the wheel well, longer driveshafts ?????