Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear spring swap/ pick-up springs on a sub

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by retroblazer, Mar 21, 2004.

1. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

In my on going qwest to finish my straight axle conversion, I had decided to swap in a 14FF in the rear. I have 7" of lift in the front through the brackets and a set of Deaver 4" lift springs. In the rear, I started with one of Watson's ORD shackle flip kits and a set of Pro-Comp 3" lift springs. Turns out that the springs are only for a pickup. I didn't figure out why the spring was so long and so soft until after I had swapped the spring hangers side for side, so that the distance from the front pivot to the rear was extended 2" further. But then we confirmed that the pickup springs are 65" long and the Sub's are 60". I am determined to use these springs so I cut the front brackets off the frame with the intention of moving them 3" forward to make room for the spring. Has anybody done this one already? How many leaves do you have to add to a 65"1/2 ton pickup to equal a standard 60" Sub spring? Second, if you have to move the front spring hanger, did you back it up with a plate on the inside of the frame rail? <font color="blue"> </font>

2. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

What year sub are you working on? 60" leaf springs /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Most of the suburbans have 52" or 56" rear leaf springs.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There's a hint here:
    [ QUOTE ]
    qwest to finish my straight axle conversion

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's gotta be a '92 or newer. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry, yeah it's a 94', my earlier posts were in the IFS section.