Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Spring warning

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MuddyMudSkipper, Mar 24, 2002.

1. MuddyMudSkipper

MuddyMudSkipper Registered Member

I will be installing new rear springs probably tomorrow, and while I was thinking about it today as i painted them, I remembered a problem I ran into in the past. I bought 6" Skyjackers awhile ago, and as soon as I pulled out onto my street to test them i noticed that my rig was not driving straight. My front tires were straight but the rear end was not directly behind me, it was off to one side- just slightly disturbing. It kind of looked like a fat dog running, they are going straight but their butt is off to the side. Anyway, after inspection i realized that the center alignment pins are not in the center of the spring (front to back). They are about 3/4" closer to one bushing than the other. And yes, lift springs have a shim at the bottom so it's easy to tell which way they go in. However, one of my shims was on backwards from the factory. The result was that the spring was in backwards, so the center alignment pin on one spring was
    1 1/2" closer to the front of the blazer than the center alignment pin on the other spring. This caused the axle to be in slightly crooked, which caused me to drive down the road slightly crooked. After flipping the spring and the shim I was going straight again.
    Moral of the story: Measure your new springs from the bushing to the center alignment pin and make sure your shims are installed in the right direction before installing the springs. You will save yourself a lot of time and frustration.
    Jeff