Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear springs fanning out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by The Loner, Aug 3, 2002.

1. The Loner

The Loner Registered Member

The bottom leaf on both rear packs has fanned out a bit. They hit the shock when articulating, resulting in an indention in each shock. I tried to straighten them out through the use of a BFH, but no luck. What do I need to do to straighten them out? Why are they not staying straight in the first place? TIA.--B

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I was told the center pin in the spring probably broke they Are 5$ at most offroad places.

3. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

mine did the same thing. i used a BFH to get it back in place. then put on some brackets i found at the parts house.they had a flat peice of steel and small flat u bolts. i put them on the front of the spring it also helped with pinion angle by pulling the overload tight against the spring pack

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Loosen the U-bolts. make sure the center pin isn't broken. with the u-bolts loose should be no problem to knock them back in line. This probably happend due to the U-bolt not being quite tight enought. Should be about 110ftlb on the u-bolts. Even with them full tight if you wheel it hard you may need to re alingn them from time to time.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That also kills articulation when you clamp the springs down like that.