Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear springs to front conversion in progress- pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, May 20, 2001.

i'm temping this project up on a junker truck i have in the back yard (my wife loves it) anyway, i removed the stock spring hangers and moved them forward about 4 1/4 inches. i used existing holes on the body mount and then relocated the factory L-bracket from behind the mount to in front of it. then i just drilled new holes and bolted it up. i figured with 52" springs moved forward 4 inches or so the shackle angle in the back will be moved back around 2" improving the shackle angle for a smoother ride. this also moved the axle centering pin forward 2 inches so i'll have to relocate that too. look at the pics and tell me what you think. am i missing any details so far? i know i will need longer shackles. if this works i will not have to weld anything and will have used all factory brackes.

this is a pic of the spring hager moved forward and bolted to two existing holes on the body mount.
    [​IMG]

this is the hanger mounted with the L-bracket relocated in front of the body mount
    [​IMG]

78, 350/350/203, 3/4 ton, 4" lift, 35" BFGs
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/>http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/</A>

1. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Thats it, thats just about the same way mine ended up! I moved the hole assembly forward (lower hanger, coresuport mount and L-bracket). But hind-sight is 20/20 and I could have done it like yours and would have saved a bunch of time. I LIKE YOURS BETTER. On mine, I needed to go with a 5-inch long shackle, just to clear the frame, because the shackle kicks back about 20 deg (top is tilted forward) With the spring loaded and flat (no arch when loaded).

1- rear springs are narrower than the factroy front springs, and will end up not fitting the front hangers (about 5/8" total gap) I'm thinking of punching out the factory rubber bushings and installing some A.M. urathene (s/p?) bushings that come with A.M. (after market) lift springs.

2- My axle ended up to be about 1" further forward (not sure since I punched out the bump stop rivets when I had the frame out and filled them, them move the bump stop to where it needed to be, should-a checked it out just for "shop talk" sake) So, eather way, your drag link is going to be WAY to short, I moved my steering gear forward and tilted it, because I still wanted to use a sway bar with ORD disconnects. You might consider cross over steering--but it might interfir with the axle, I don't know about this, just guessing. Speaking of sway bars, it will need to be moved or tossed.

3- To take advantage of the flex avalible with longer springs. You will need to relocate the upper shock mounts higher (custom shock bracket- or use that Ford shock tower thing).

4- I found that I had to pull out some leafs and I also installed the stock front military leaf (just incase the thinner main leaf brakes, at least the axle will stay under the truck)This ended up to be about a 4" lift. The ride should be SWEET and SOFT.

Baddog and Donoven need to check this out!!!!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with twiztid up frontal lobes.

Ever think about 63" rear springs, I've got the skinny on that one, It's even easier then the 52" front springs!

Twiztid

2. for axle relocation can't i just drill a new hole in the main leaf only and then line up the other leafs with that? i've heard those are a b!tch to drill through. i never thought about taller shock towers. i'll probably look into the ford tower thing too. i haven't figured out the bushings yet either. i was hoping am bushings for front springs would work too. thanks for all the e-mails and help, twizted![​IMG] i'll keep ya posted

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/>http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. don't tease me about the rear springs and then not tell me anything!!! of coarse i want the skinny. send me an e-mail and fill me in[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Cool stuff, I like the way you did the front mount. I wanted to move my front axle forward about 2" anyway so this is way cool. X-Over steering will take care of the drag link issue. Moving the axle forward will take care of the x-member problem with x-over steering and also provide more clearance for tie rod over the spring.

Keep us informed.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I wouldn't drill the springs, that's gonna be really hard to do without a machine shop AND it will create another weak point for them to break. Most of the minor axle offsets are done with offset plates between the axle and the spring (with one whole for the spring pin and another pin in the correct location for the axle) or by redrilling the spring perches on the axle. There is an article on this site (or off-road?) about making heavy duty perches out of 2x2x.25 square tubing if you can't work with the stock stuff.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Edited----SORRY, I FORGOT ABOUT THE BANDWIDTH THING!

About drilling spring springs; If you drill the main leaf between the U-bolts it "should" be O.K. This should be "dead" space and have no force or movement (but I'm not positive on that!) But, why would you want to? Moveing the axle forward 2" (loaded?) is a bonus in my book. Except for the drag link and sway bar thing.

Info on the 63" rear spring is on the way, you might be amazed at just how easy it is! I need pics to help describe it.

Twiztid

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 05/26/01 11:16 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. johnnysjimmy

johnnysjimmy Registered Member

I WOULD LIKE THE INFO ON THOSE LONGER SPRINGS TO IF SOMEONE WOULD SEND IT TO A NEWBIE ON THE SITE.

JRSAVS@AOL.COM