Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear springs under the frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FULLSIZE, Dec 5, 2002.

1. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

just got done swappin the 63" 3/4ton packs under the frame. anyone run there springs under the frame? love it or hate it? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

No, but I'd like to hear more about how yours went. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Im playing around 63 inch spring ideas also. I would really like to hear ( with pics of course ) on how urs went.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

NoRulz (Mat) runs his frame-under and likes it very well. He's been tried to convince (well, suggested) me into giving it a go, and I've considered it after seeing his work...

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

you could run buggy springs that way. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. BadDog

Hmm, If I ran them inboard, I would run a simple long shackle setup. That would allow more than enough droop, especially when amplified by the axle hanging out the side. But, if I go to something that drastic, I'll probably just jump all the way to a link suspension with coils or 1/4 elips...

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

and if you are going to do coils or 1/4 eliptical ya might as well ad some rockwells.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    grant

8. BadDog

Yeah, but then I would have to deal with the front too so that the gears would match. That would mean more lift to clear the pinion housing among other things... If I ever do get the $$$ and energy to a pair of those Rockwells, I'll probably build a complete chassis around them...

9. FULLSIZE

exactly why i went 60/70 combo. nice and bolt-in.
    i haven't got to use them yet, just finished the suspension, now its on to the trans and t-cases. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    i have some pics over on pirate4x4, but i must warn ya, there in the dodge section /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99865

i gonna have pics of it with the weight on the rear suspension after the weekend. and yes i know its a dirty grimy mess. i wouldn't have it any other way /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

One of the SoCalBigDawgs has inborded 52" springs. His is the red 73 you might have seen in some of the mags doing the hammers. He ramped a 1200 on our 23deg ramp.
    [​IMG]
    Not too shabby /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    He also has a 1' long 2nd shackle that is pinned up. He says that it is too unstable with it unpinned.

11. FULLSIZE

i believe that. the double shackles seem to be over rated. in fact all those little bolt on gadget ideas just dont seem to work like ya want. buggy springs, revolvers, double shackles. just axle wrap instagaters if you ask me. thats why i went the 63" springs with a long shackle. we'll see how it works. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I won't use any of those "free droop" setups either. I have a set of 63's sitting in my backyard set to go at the end of the summer. I'm also going to put some longer springs up front to help balance it out some.