Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear springs vs. Shackle Flip?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by JohnnyFresno, Jul 16, 2002.

1. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

What are the differences between the two? Why is one better then the other? I plan on going with 6 inches and I was considering rear springs. Should I go with a flip and 2" springs instead? What all would I need to do for 6 inches of lift(Driveshaft, t-case ect?).

Thanks

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

new rear springs that are arched for lift are naturally stiffer and will therefore allow less flex than the stock springs would. The shackle flip is a good way to keep way flat/flexy springs and get lift at the same time.

AFA what you'd need to do for 6" of lift, if you had any amount of suspension travel at all, you'd need to lengthen your driveshafts or get new ones. Depending on the angles between tcase and axles, you may need to rotate the rear or drop the tcase. Really depends on to many factors for me to cover right now. You would also, of course, need something to restore the correct steering geometry. Raised steering block, drop drag link, pitman, x-over or whatever. At any rate, as far as the shafts/angles, I'd install the lift and see what kinda vibrations you get and adjust shafts/angles until it runs smooth. If its any consolation, I have been building up my rig for 2 years and the vibes STILL arent solved. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Its gonna happen soon tho, I'm going with a np205 and HAD shaft in the rear... problem solved!

J

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Shackle flips are cheaper....... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Yes but he want to go 6"s. To do that he needs a 4" shackle flip plus either 2" blocks or springs. Or he can go with 6" springs. In this case the 6" springs may be cheaper. But I prefer the flips.

5. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys.

btw Jekbrown I read over your shackle flip install /forums/images/icons/smile.gif great job on that. was funny read as well /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thanks for the kudos on the webshots pics... i try to keep 'em informative while tossing in some comedy from time to time. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I know when I am flipping through some online photos, I get bored after a while if there isnt some interesting text accompanying the pics. I have LOTS more pics and install text to put up... but I doubt I'll get to it before Blazer Bash...

J

7. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

look into the zero rate add a leaf too.