Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear springs

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, Nov 29, 2001.

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i am thinkin about removing the bottommost leaf on my rear packs to make it flex and ride better , will the springs sag if i do this ? i would also lose the clamp that goes around them . also my body mounts are shot and i was wondering if poly flexs enuff to not crack the body .

dents ....
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You probably don't want to remove the overload, the springs don't have enough capacity to hold the truck in offroad situations without overstressing them if you take the overload out. You could get away with it by lowering the bumpstops to keep them to just a few inches of bumptravel, but that kind of defeats the purpose.
    You really can't count on the flex in the body mounts to keep the cab from cracking up, the rubber's soft, but not that soft. Poly is stiffer, but it's not enough to make a difference in keeping the cab straight. The only way to keep the body from cracking is to stiffen the frame, either boxing it or running a roll cage over it will work.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

not the overload the one above , sorry not specific enuff

dents ....
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)