Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevystepside, Dec 29, 2002.

1. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

f150 rears or stock chevy 95 rears springs for best articulation. using shackle flip 4" on 1989 k5 full size jimmy

2. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

F-150's bend(kink) easy, but flex better. ask yourself, would you rather be stuck or broken? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

do they bend because of axle wrap? just need a trac bar.

4. FULLSIZE

the main leafs are thin and bend when backing up and the tire wont pop over what your backing over. they also go flat easier than the GM leafs. if you had an add-a-leaf and clamped the second leaf to the main leaf near the hanger they'd probably last longer. just my experience and the rig was a jeep, not as heavy as a K5. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

With a good trac bar, the 57's dont get all bent out of shape any more than anything else would. Without it, your asking for failure. The two failures I've seen so far have been a result of not clamping the packs after they were disassembled but enough axle wrap on any leaf pack with destroy them eventually. Especially if you run them backward from what I understand.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The 57's flex better then the 63's?

7. FULLSIZE

there softer in stock form. this is a loaded question to say the least. you can always add leafs to make them useful but you lose flex and you can remove leafs from the 63" springs to make them flex better but then you would have the wrap problem.

it comes down to a few objectives. if you spin the 57's around long side forward and put them in the rear, you can in theory have a better departure angle. you'd have to bob the back of the truck/blazer alot to take full advantage of the shorter springs though.

i bobbed my truck 10" and the 63" springs just barely stick out past the tailgate. just enough for a bumper. it just depends on what your goin for. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif