Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Steer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Apr 11, 2004.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I know 1FNHIK5 had it... but last I heard he was selling the K5 and putting the rear axle in a Jeep /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Anyways Does anyone else run it? or really even know what is involved? I dont think it would be TOO hard to put the knuckles on a a rear D60 but im thinking the actually steering would be hard to set up. So basically I just want any info yall have /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and pix are always a good thing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    BTW what did 1FNHIK5's rear end start out as?

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

it's really not that difficult. (if you have the right tools)
    you need a pumpkin (usually a 60 for ease of repair and parts.)

inner and outer knuckles, hubs, and spindles. axle shafts cut to specs (inner and outer obviously.) and you steer it w/ a ram (full hydro.) a guy i know has his steering ram set up w/ a push button tytpe setup. one button for left and one for right. it has a seperate res. for the rear ram. he also had a locking mechanism for when he drives it on the street.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Basically just how I built my front 14b axle, except youd need a 60 center, if thats what you want to use. For steering it would have to be Hydro, and as stated before, it would need to lock, for street driving.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

hmm... I guess I could use a 14bolt FF I have one now in ther now and 1 spare... it would be kinnda cool but probably harder to get parts. If you dont mind me asken how much do you have in your 14Bolt front axle? and how much do yall think that hydro steering would cost? AND would this really be strong enough to take abuse? The reason I really wanna do this is because I have a LWB and love having a long bed the only down fall is turning radius, that and to me rear steer is JUST COOL and none of my buddys have it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

The axle would have to get retubed, with tube that necks down to fit the D 60 C's, and to fit the centersection. Also, the tube is thicker, stronger. Mines the same inner diameter as a D60, but 3/16" (IIRC) bigger then 14bf tube. Its beef. I figured it cost me the same to build this axle as it would have been to buy a D 60 (1k), minus the axle shafts. However, I did find the everyhting, inner knuckles out, for a damn good price. When I build my rear steer axle ill use stock knuckles, until I break them. If you were going to use it hard, and are afraid of breaking a knuckle, then Id guess some Dedenbear knuckles would be the ticket, but then theres some money.

As for Hydro, I have no clue there.

Any more questions, let me know.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Seems like Petersen's had a deal on this in the last few months... on their showcase Avalanche, maybe?

Hydro steering, with three options, I think -- left, center, or right. Might have had a joystick for left-right control but then a center-lock.

In my muddy mind I am thinking they found a kit for the hydro stuff, but I don't remember how they did up the knuckles.

-- A

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]

In my muddy mind I am thinking they found a kit for the hydro stuff, but I don't remember how they did up the knuckles.

-- A

[/ QUOTE ]

yeahm that was a Dynatrac axle, so if you wanted to do it as inexpensively as possible, there goes that idea.

8. dremu

bruhahahahaha. Must be nice to be able to throw $$ around like that!

-- A

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Yea... I cant even look at those Dynatrac axles, but this isent looking to cheap either /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. dremu

Well, seems to me like there's a balance between throw-money-at-it and do-it-yourself. One requires a fat checkbook, and the other requires a hell of a lot of cleverness and a pile of spare parts roughly equivalent to a whole second truck /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I figger the things I can do myself with my tools and clue level, I'll do; the other stuff has to wait until I get the clue and tools to make... or I gotta pay somebody.

Seems like I'm doing a lot of waiting or doing it myself /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A