Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by painterbccc, Dec 14, 2005.

1. painterbccc

painterbccc Registered Member

Friend of mine is building a hybrid jeep Chevy 383 stroker 77 chevy trans. Rockwell axels. Well got it going now he wants rear steering. So what is the best way to go with this? I have never tried this before .I have enough trouble keeping one end turning like its suppose to. Without trying to make the other end turn also.

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well assuming this is a trail only rig, which it should be, I would just go with a full hydraulic setup adapted to the rear. As for the axle, I think some people get a reverse cut D60 or something.

One thing I was kinda dreaming up though, is a 14bff. I know that Wagoner Machine Shop is the home of the 14bff front end. They can take a 14b and convert it to a front end. That seems like a complete waste of time and money to me, but.... If they can do that, it seems it would be much easier to make it into a rear steer axle. You wouldn't have to change the rotation or the offset of the diff. It might be something worth talking to them about.

3. jason m

jason m 1/2 ton status

i am building a rockwell buggy with two steering axles, bolth will be welded, hydro steering and pinion brakes. it sounds like if he has rockwells in there now, so adding a rear would'nt be to big of a deal, just have to find another rock front. i bought two steering axle's and bolth said rockwell, so acording to what i have read ''as long as the tag says rockwells'' then it has the U-joint axles, not true with one of them it had the rezzpe joint's ( the 5 balls ), so what i would do is it cut a boot and check to see what it has.as far as the plumbing for the hydro's i am going to go cheap for now, i will have the rear turn the other direction as the front, so when i turn left the rear go's right. all telehandlers or lull's use a 12 volt control valve so you can have normal steer, tight steer and crab at the snap of a switch. there are self centering laser's used on most of the CAT TH's ( i know i work for CAT as welder ) but i will just eyeball the rear tires when i install the valve later, jason.