Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JunkYardCrawler, Oct 9, 2000.

1. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

I was just thinking about hydrolic steering and 4 wheel steering. and how hard would it be to set up rear wheel steering. and would this help out on the trail? could u use a front dana 60 in the rear and up front or convert a 12 bolt or 14 bolt to rear steering. basicly what diff would u use, and is it worth all the trouble?

<font color=red> Hey who put that grenade in there? </font color=red>

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have seen a couple of rear stear rigs out on the trail, and I have seen them break. It just seems like more to go wrong, Albeit cool and trick. I live by the Keep it simple motto. HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

3. JunkYardCrawler

I was just woundering what kind of diff they use. just to expand my knowledge of trucks and how diff things work. i know that monster trucks have it but they are running (in the newer trucks diffs out of say a forklift, and in older trucks 5ton military diffs that can be fliped and have the pinion on top.) but on the monster trucks its through orbital steering and i looks pretty cool.(man i could on forever about monster trucks).i agree that the more to something the more there is to break. and ur odds of breaking something go up.

Well as it gose it gose and under it rolls heavey rubber bouncing on a head.
    (hey i'm a poet)

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I hear ya, I wasnt trying to be all negeative, its just the way i sound after a long ass day of work.[​IMG] I am interested in the hydr. steering however.

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

5. JunkYardCrawler

Hey its cool. its better than being an a-hole like me after a long day of working. when u say u have seen it on the trails what where they in and what diff where they running?i like the idea or it up front but to install it in the rear its a whole lot of hose and i don't know what kind of diff would run with it.

Well as it gose it gose and under it rolls heavey rubber bouncing on a head.
    (hey i'm a poet)

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

All the 4x mags are running articles on the new 4 wheel steering available on the 2002 Subs. The turning radius is about a foot larger than that of the average compact car. Can you imagine having that on the trail? Too bad it's an electronic system, lots of things to break.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Hydraulic rear steering would not be street legal and to be safe you would have to completely disable it and freeze the rear steering (lock pins?). For people who trailer their rigs to the trail, that shouldn't be a problem.

So, what do you want to know about Quadrasteer everybody? (The real name for the 4W steering available starting '02 from GM is Quadrasteer.) I happen to be working on it's design, so an awful lot of what I know I am not at liberty to post here, but there is a lot of basic stuff that I can tell you that should tickle some ears. It is a Delphi product and will most likely be available also on the full size trucks from two other major automakers that I will not name. The system uses an electric motor mounted on the rear axle to push tie rods conneceted to steering knuckles at the ends of the axles. The whole unit has spring assist to center so that in the event of a problem, the failure mode is normal two wheel steering. The sytem actively compensates for the steering dynamics of the truck using yaw rate, lat, vehicle speed and steering column position sensors. For pulling a trailer, Quadrasteer makes todays pickups seem barbaric and unmanagable. At low speeds, the wheels turn in opposite directions for a tight turning radius. This action reduces as vehicle speed increase and at even higher speeds, the rear wheels turn in the same direction as the fronts so that lane changes are much more stable. Since it is microprocessor based, it actively compenstates for potential problems in the vehicles handling before the driver can even notice them. 2W steer, normal 4W steer and trailering modes can be selected from the cab.

Is there anything else that you want to know, besides "Can I get it for my K-5?"

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

8. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yeah, there's something else I'd like to know... Can I have a job!?! I'd love to work for Delphi, you guys do so much cool sh!t. My dynamics professor works at the Rochester plant in the advanced engineering division. The alternative fuel source division of GM that used to be in that plant is now a half mile from my house. It's pretty cool seeing the prototypes cruising around every now and then. Ok, enough BS'ing, back to the K5 stuff.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

9. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Hey Blue85,
    I saw your profile and you are from Michigan. I used to live in Bay City and I was wondering if you work at the Delphi Plant in Saginaw? I worked there for a summer a few years back. But, right now I moved and I live in Ann Arbor.
    Just thought I say hello to another Michiganader.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

10. Blue85

Zepplin,
    That's right. If you cruise by on I-75 and look down into the parking lot, maybe you can see my Blue and Silver K-5. It's the one that's sticking up above all the conversion pickups. :)

jcq,
    If you have experience in EMI/Electromagnetic Compatibility testing, give me a call.

'85 JIMMY
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

11. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I think it's interesting that they are using a straight axle with knuckles in the rear, and IFS up front. I suppose those knuckles are huge! So the wheels are actually turned by an electric motor, eh? that is also interesting to me. Is it a huge stepping motor? Does it use some kind of other means to actually move the wheels?

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

12. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Cool,
    I'll check next time I go back to Bay City, I drive right buy there. I don't have any experience in EMI but, if you ever need a engine rebuild kit for your Blazer give me a call I work for Clevite Engine Parts. Or for some friends; I see that you already have a new 350!

I know Delpi is a huge place but me old neighbor, Ken Van Cise is an Engineer but, I'm not sure what plant. He's probably been there for almost 30 years.

Well, nice talking to you.

Here's some pictures of some of my trucks.
    http://jeremyb.coloradok5.com
    There's more on my photos page too.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

13. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Hey, Blue, howz about some Vortec ECM code disassemblies? Yeah, right. And ECM code? Know anything about the MEFI controller?

I know, the answers are prolly no, but I just had to ask.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

14. Blue85

The electric motor uses a gear reduction unit to develop enough torque to overcome the centering springs AND turn the wheels. It is a brushless DC machine, which is similar to a stepping motor. A motor like this can generate a lot of power from a small package. The motor and assist mechanism actually reside in a housing that also serves as the rear differential cover. None of the parts hang down lower than the axle.

As you probably know, IFS is starting to take over the rear ends of trucks now, too, at which point Quadrasteer will of course follow suit. I think that the Lincoln Navigator is the first full-size with IFS and IRS.

'85 JIMMY
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700