Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear storage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Aug 1, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

OK, the Tuffy console I just put in the Blazer filled up a little faster than I wanted it to. I still have a bunch of crap that I'd like to keep in the Blazer like jumper cables, spare parts, fluids, etc but I don't want to just leave it laying in the back. The second problem is the metal locking storage boxes that would fit perfect behind the backseat are way too much $$$. I can't bring myself to pay $200 or $300 for a metal box with a lock on it. What do you guys do to store your stuff?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

a $200 storage box from leer, fits perfect and love it

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Under bed box from a Semi bolted to the floor. It's 48 x 20x 18. Double locks and stays nice and dry inside

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I went to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.leer.com>www.leer.com</a> to see if I could find the box you have and all I could find on their website was a bunch of truck caps and covers. Where did you buy yours from?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

uuuh from a leer store, it's a truck box but it not one of those thar sitts up on the bed rails. it's just like a big rectangular cube and it came in several sizes. this was about two years ago. on a note i went into the back of the store and they were unpacking this thing and it had a brand plate thingee on it that had a swordfish on and then they just put a leer sticker on it i don't think they wanted me to see that. hope that helps

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Sorry if my question sounded funny, but I've never seen or heard of a Leer store. Not in my city anyway. Maybe I can just find a local dealer that carries their stuff. Thanks for the info.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Get ahold of your local High School Welding instructor. Around here you get good deals. You usually only have to pay for materials(Aluminum Diamond Plate, Steel, etc.) The welds probably won't be the most beautiful thing in the world, but hey the labor is cheap and some kid gets to learn a skill. Hell you could be a kind soul and toss the kid 50 bucks for his work.

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

8. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

IF you run with a soft top year round, and don't mind ditching you'r rear window, check out my post from awhile back about "Tailgate storage"....

" Wider IS Better!!!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a peice of sheet metal bolted under the top on the bed rail, with a hole in it to get to the door latch.
    i got creative for my buddy and made one that has hinges and padlocks on it.... one so inclined you could do the same. i paid 15 dollars for it all, but we had to buy just the locks. i got the stock from work

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

10. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I bought a Rubbermaid storage box for mine for about $40. It's not as secure as a Tuffy, but it is pretty tough plastic , has provisions for a padlock and looks fairly good. I just bolted mine in back and forgot about it. I haven't locked up my Blazer in years and have run without a top, doors and tailgate for the last year or so with no problems whatsoever. The box is gray and about 12"x12"x36" approximately. I picked it up at Wal-Mart.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

don't mind me i'm justa smart ass. here in hotlanta we have leer stores they are alrite but high priced. If you have a northern tool and accessory store it's pretty good but still alittle pricy. I like grimmy's idea sounds ggod and cheap just look for one of them semi junk yards.

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a large Rubbermaid container that I got from Wal-Mart. They also have a larger size that is non-Rubbermaid but it has no latches. Quality Farm and Fleet type stores sell the same box as the large non-rubber maid one WITH latches for $60... Both boxes hold a lot..

I dont have mine installed yet, but it will probably go behind the rear seat for now and then maybe later behind the front seat and I may remove the back seat..

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

13. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

What do you guys think of this one?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=14504&amp;prmenbr=6970>http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=14504&amp;prmenbr=6970</a>

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

14. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thats alittle much for 5 1/2 cubic feet. I shopped for one at them and it seems the prices are still the same (high). Do you have anyother truck assc. places around there? I paid somthing like that for twice the cubic space. something like 10 cubic feet at leer. but if you don't have one around that doen't help. The construction on northerns stuff is very good but i'd shop around some more.

15. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, I know its expensive, but I also like how it only weighs 25 pounds. I included a link to another one, which is a little bigger, but damn it weighs 89 pounds. And I just got off the phone with a truck parts store in town and they have a 36x20x16 lockbox that is 100 pounds for $300. I'm really not finding them much cheaper than Northern. But check out this link and tell me what you think for this one...its quite a bit cheaper than the first one.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=19287&amp;prmenbr=6970>http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=19287&amp;prmenbr=6970</a>

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

16. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Why not just make your own? I made mine out of wood, and that way I was able to custom fit it to my truck's exact lines! It goes from fenderwell to fenderwell and is right behind the seat. I hold all kinds of stuff in there. I lined it with a few old towels to keep the noise down from parts clanking together, etc. It has inside mounting hinges (for more security) and I bought some heavy duty covered lockable latches to lock it up with. I covered it with that thin gray marine carpet. It is also bolted to the floor, so it isn't going anywhere.

And the best part about it is that it only cost me about $30 to build it! Just my .02. If you have a couple of hours to build it, you can save a bunch of money. Oh, and by the way, it only weighs about 25 pounds or so.

17. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yea thats a good point and their stuff is really nice, are these boxes steel or alum. mine is alum. and only weights 50 or 60 pounds? somthing like that,you should also consider how much stuff ya gonna put inthar. 5 1/2 'll fill up rite quick

18. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yea thats a good point and their stuff is really nice, are these boxes steel or alum. mine is alum. and only weights 50 or 60 pounds? somthing like that,you should also consider how much stuff ya gonna put inthar. 5 1/2 'll fill up rite quick

19. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

ya but those car stereo installers are made of money and you know how pretty they like their stuff to look JUST KIDDEN. just get one that'll fit your needs because if ya buy one ya don't wanna realize ya needed a biger one or a smaller one, and ona side note wood leaks so if ya go topless consider that and steel will eventually rust i don't care what they cover it with.

20. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, I'm still kicking around the idea of making my own box. I've got a bunch of woodworking tools out in the garage and I've built over 25 speaker boxes...I just would rather have a steel box so it would be harder to break into.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad