Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear suspension 6in lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lrazer, Nov 15, 2005.

1. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

i have been playing around with some ideas i have 4 in lift 52" springs in the rear now want 6in of lift would appreciate some input
    do not want 2in blocks and do not want 6in lift springs
    i was thinking a shackle flip (DIY4X) and 2 in lift springs
    but 52's or 56's or what with the 56's i know the center pin is offset does the axle position change with 56's

other setups you think would be better

the idea is to get decent/good flex with 38's (89 k5)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The spring length difference is from the pin back. The axle stays. I say go for the 56" 4" lift spring, get the 2.5" shackleflip form ORD and put the sides on backward. That will move the rear eyebolt location back 2". You can add the 6" extended shackles for a little more flex.
    BTW Thats what I'm doing in the next couple of weeks, just using the 4" shackle flip instead of the 2.5".

3. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

would the 4 in springs give u better flex than the 2 in
    i had assumed that less arch = better flex, or does everyone just use stock springs with a flip because of the cost

would 56's be the way to go i was looking at the tuff country and the spring rates are higher for the 56's than the 52's

4. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

1st the longer spring gives better flex than a shorter spring. And you are correct less arch gives better flex too. If you plan on doing a shackle flip then yes 56's are a better set up, if you want more flex in your truck. If you are just wanting more lift and all you do is drive on the street and dont care about flex then just add the 2.5 in shackle flip and be done with it. So it all depends on what you are wanting your rig to do.

later
    jmd

5. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

if i were you i would go to ORD and order a 2.5" shackle flip and keep the 4" rear springs. it would be much cheaper, and you would maintain your current ride.

6. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

that would be the way i would go, but when i but the lift on it i was in high school and didn't know much about this kinda stuff, just went with the cheapest, rough country, so i was going to get different springs either way
    my other dilema is that when i swapped the 14ff in it was out of a 1ton so i had to cut pearches off and move them, welded them back on rotated slightly to correct pinion angle, as it sits right now the u joint angle at the yoke is at my guess about 1-2 degrees (almost strait) if i do the shackle flip i am wondering how far it will pitch the diff up (up past what it is/angle other direction bad news) lets just chalk this up to bad planning ahead and plans changing

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Ever think about the Marv Springer suspension?

8. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

what is a Marv Springer suspension?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  9. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

anyone?

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I used an ORD 4" shackle flip bracket, and ford 57" springs, which ended me up with around 6-7" of lift. The ride is good. The Marv Springer suspension was designed by a member here, his name is....Marv Springer! It's pretty trick. I think he authorized az-kickin offroad to manufacture and distribute them. But, I think az-kickin has closed up shop. Do a search for 'springer suspension' and you should come up with some pics.

11. stevos67k20

stevos67k20 1/2 ton status

speaking of 6 inches of lift......

i have 4", 56" leafs right now and i want 6 inches of lift. i was thinking of getting some 56" STOCK leaf springs from a junkyard, an ORD 4" shackle flip, ORD zero rates, and the longer heavy duty shackle also from ORD. i was wondering if this combination will achieve 6" of lift with the shackle flips mounted backwards(i heard-to move the spring eye back)??? thanks.
    Steven :truck: :hack: :rotfl:

12. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

If you are going with stock 56"ers, you don't want to flip the ORD mounts around, it will give you a crappy shackle angle. Folks flip them around when they go to the 57"ers to improve shackle angle. But, I'm not sure. Maybe you do need to flip them around, with the 56" springs, and leave them alone for 52" springs? I donno. With my setup I DID swap the ORD brackets, but I guess you would have to get it all together, then assess your shackle angle and see if it would improve if you turned them around. I think if you do go with the ORD 4" bracket, and the longer shackles, you'll probably get about 6".

13. stevos67k20

stevos67k20 1/2 ton status

thanks Matt. What is a GOOD shackle angle? from what i understand its where the top of the shackle is closer to the front of the truck (tilted forward i guess) than the rear of the shackle. is this right? will this make the suspension for flexible? thanks :confused: