Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear suspension newbie post

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Jul 30, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

So I crawl under my truck yesterday and see that both rear spring packs have broken leafs and the homeade cutout shackle hanger is limiting shackle movement. My K5 sags about 2" in the rear. I'm running 4" procomps up front, stock rear springs and the homeade shackle flip. I want to change this setup. Here is my criteria:

Must flex decently offroad
    Must be able to haul an 18' carhauler with building materials, sheet metal, ect...800 lbs tongue weight max.
    Can't sag in the rear anymore
    Has to look porportional

1. New 2" lift leaf springs, cut out existing shackle bracket some more. $350 Have nice springs, but expensive

2. New stock height leaf springs, use 1/2" lift 14B spring mounting pads I have and 1" zero rates, Cut out shackle bracket some more. $100. Still have old shackle braket, cheap

3. New stock ride leafs, Echobit shackle flip, 1/2" lift spring pads, $150. Have nice setup, but it pushes the axle forward in the wheelwell. Hate that.

4. 2" rear springs and ORD flip, $500. Way too much work and too expensive.

5. ORD flip, stock rear springs, 2" blocks. $225. A lot of cash to still have rear blocks.

Any options I'm missing? What would you do and why?

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Why not do #3 and redrill the spring pack and move the center pin back 1/2" to an 1".
    I have the echobit flip and love it.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what about your bracket is limiting travel? did you not cut out the shackle bucket enough? If thats the case I would say cut it out a little more and weld some supports on the top then get new stock springs and a zero rate. Your Echobit idea and ORD flip + blocks will give you 6" and make your rear sit higher(my k5 sits like 2 or 3 higher ni the back and I hate it).

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Great idea and never crossed my mind. I've made 3/4 elliptical springs and drilled the packs before. No idea why it didnt occur to me now. How much did your echobit push you forward? I had one briefly, but never measured to see how far it went.

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I can't really say, I would think maybe 1 1/2" most.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why not run some 57's with a few custom length 'add-a-leafs' from the old 52" pack? It'll flex great and should still be stable enough to tow with if you add a few leafs to the pack. The extra couple of leafs should eliminate sag too. My 57's have no extra leafs and it does sit a hair low in the rear with the top on...so I'll be heeding my own advice in regards to adding a couple of custom cut add-a-leafs.

No reason not to be able to tow as long as the trailer is correctly loaded and you use the wieght distributing bars...

Rene

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Rene,

I've actually got a pair of 57's sitting in dan's garage, but after seeing all those pics of twisted, mangled, and broken ones, I decided not to use them. I may go that route in the future with the echobit flip, but for now I do believe I'll go with the echobit/redrill option.

Btw, the 1/2" lift pads are yours. I got real industrious putting them on! And I've had multiple people want to buy them, but nope, not for sale!

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What about:

1. Win lotto, buy some 16" Fox coilovers and do a 4 link...

2. Fab some 1/4 Elliptics and 4 link... Keep the Dodge and haull your poop...

3. Buy some Fox Air SHocks and fab a 4 link... About $450 + 4 link sheesh...

4. Punt!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

GREAT IDEA MIKE!!! Why didnt I think of that one? Only one small problem.

The dodge is sold and this is my daily driver so a 4 link is pretty much out of the question. haha How the hell have you been?

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would guess a lot of guys run the 57's with no clamps on em...then the main isn't able to live and they get mangled. In stock form they have a clamp on the front half that fully encircles the pack and interlocks. My avatar shows my truck flexed out and the springs are fully clamped.

Good to hear you're finally getting good use out of those perches. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I figured my ideas wouldn't be new to you but thought I would lay them on the table anyhow. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've been good, U?