Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear suspension thoughts

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by sled_dog, May 5, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Are the rear springs of the 88+ 1/2ton the same as older 1/2 tons? I really don't know. Trying to figure my options for bring the back up to meet the rear when I do the SFA. THinking I will need like 8-10 out of the back. I am planning ORD flip but not sure what else.

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They are not the same. The newer GMs use 63" long spring, and the older ones used either 52" or 56", or somewhere thereabouts. I have Pro Comp rear springs, biggest ones you can get with out custom made, in the 6" version. Haven't driven the truck yet, but just by "flexing" the rear with a jack, I think they would have a good ride. I needed quite a bit of lift for mine, I used 6" springs, shackle flip, longer shackles, bunch of added leaves, 73-87 front hangers (bout 2-3" worth), and three inch blocks, and now it sits with a slight rake. Dont think it will flex much now, but didn't build the truck to ride nice anyway. If you use 6" springs with the shackle flip, that should get you close to were you need to be. The pics below show how it sits.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thanks. Your rig looks how I want mine to look when I do it. Care to give me a few more details? What front springs? ORU kit? I am back to uncertain as to what I am going to do. My dad and I are probably going to an auction with a bunch of fleet trucks this weekend so I am gonna see what i find there.

4. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

how much lift are you looking for?

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got the ORU kit, and if I know what it was beforehand, I wouldn't have gotten it. To me, it is a waste of money. For my truck, I only used four peices of the kit. The other peices are bump stops, I don't think that I'm gonna get anywhere close to bottoming this thing out. It would be really easy to make your own, and not cost an arm and a leg. I have Superlift 12" front springs, near zero flex, they are stiff!! But, I didn't build the truck for a smooth ride, or for rocks. I built it for mud, and it needs to be relatively stiff. The rears are the Pro Comp 6", and they flex really good, almost wish the truck wasn't as high, would have a good riding truck, with killer flex. Oh well, maybe few years down the road I will get tired of it and lower it some. I'm guessing with the 2" the kit gives, and the 12" springs, I have 14" of lift. Right now I have 40" Mudders, which run small, and the top of the tires are almost even with the bottoms of the fender and rockers. Maybe I'm used to it, but I don't think its that big. My headlights are about 54" off the ground. It's close to be done, at least driving. I need to make a bracket for the 700 TV cable to hook to the 454 TBI. Would rather have a 400, but this one I already had. After that, just get a rear shaft made, run some rear brake lines, and it should, (hopefully) move. Oh, forgot, need to put my Detroit and gears in first, cause the shafts are 1350, and the rear is 3r, close but not the same. That's minor stuff, just have to get ahold of a buddy of mine who used to live and breath 14 bolts. Just need to get new carrier bearings and have them pressed on. That will get it moving under it's own power, and not the John Deere and tow strap, think the tractor is starting to hate me. If you need any more info for yours, drop me a line!!