Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear swaybar? (Anyone running one??)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Apr 22, 2004.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well the mighty blazer has made a recovery 1 year and 9 days since the last time it got locked into 4wd took it wheeling this weekend. On the way and the way home it was a bit more squirrely than I like my truck, so I am considering a rear sway bar with some sort of disco system back there as well, but regardless I feel its crucial especially if I ever pull a trailer again...

So anyone have a rear swaybar, what brand?
    I'm also concerned having the 14FF in the rear I'm sure it will all have to be custome made and bracketed...I just need ideas /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

The truck i removed my 14bff from had a sway connected to it, it was a '76 c20 pick up 2wd. wasn't that thick of a bar, so i didn't even think about it, but it had all the factory brackets on there, could possibly be able to find one at a salvage yard.

BTW,no, i'm not running one either, would seriously limit axle flex, kinda need the movement on a 40ft long Burb. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. BowtieBlazer

I'd definately disco it while wheelin just need something to get out there, I'd feel much better with one than without

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

How much weight will it be pulling? Tj (4xcrazy) pulled my boat home for me (18 foot project boat) without any trouble I could see from following behind . I have pulled a 97 Sentra behind my Blazer with a shorter wheelbase up and down grades without problems either. Perhaps you aren't used to driving it again yet. Mine was down for 2 months while I found and installed new axle , mine felt funny for several days until I remembered all the nuances. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I also towed a 5500lb '78 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham from san Diego, California to Phoenix. That was fun. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. BowtieBlazer

probably around 2500lbs or more, not much but enough, I'm definately not used to its manners yet again but I'd really like to limit rear sway, from a side to side jerk on the steering wheel at about 25 it takes about 2 oscillations to regain stability, put that on a bumpy road and its a roller coaster, i'd rather overkill than loose control

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I don't run any swaybars on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. It's mainly a trail rig now. I am planning on using one on my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif though. It doesn't see much more than gravel roads so it's not that big of a deal to me.