Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear tailgate doesn't want to open?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5DRAGER, Nov 18, 2002.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Rear tailgate doesn\'t want to open?

Rear tailgate doesn't want to open. When I roll down the window and try to to open the tailgate, I pull the handle all the way out and nothing happens. Then I nudge the tailgate a little while I have the handle about maxed out and it finally pops open. The inside handle feels real stiff also. Any idea's what is causing this and how to remedy it. I've never had to pull the handle half this much in the past and it would pop right open. Thanks

2. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Re: Rear tailgate doesn\'t want to open?

I had the same problem with mine. The window has to go all the way down to let the handle work. It was hanging up on something that I just had to pop back into place in order to let it go all the way down. I can't remember exactly what it was hanging up on, but it was only keeping the window up about 1/2 inch so I didn't connect the two until I pulled the tailgate inner cover off and checked everything out. Sorry about being so vague, but it was last summer.

3. georgiared84

Okay, I think I just remembered what it was, Look at the bottom of the glass for a tab that the glass engages to let the handle work. I think that's what kept it from working. Like I said, It's been a while since I've had it apart, but the symptoms were exactly the same.

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, I'm going to pull the inspection cover tomorrow and look. I just hope I didn't bend or strip anything trying to get it open, like I said the handle has never pulled up that far untill after I has trying to get it to open. Thanks

5. georgiared84

I was worried about the exact same thing. Mine happened in Florida on vacation with my wife and all the kids. I had to lift all the luggage out over the tailgate after I pulled and pulled on the handle. Took off the cover from the inside and fixed it in just a few minutes after checking the path of the window to see what all should be happening. Let me know what you find out.

6. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Well it's fixed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The bracket that you mentioned was the problem. Except that it broke off and jambed the rest of the linkage and when I tried to open it, it bent them up some. Just took it apart and straightened the linkage and disposed of the safety bracket. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks georgiared84

7. georgiared84

No problem. I'm surprised you could get anything from my..." I think it's the doohickey near the thingamabob, under the whatsit"

8. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

Mine was doin the same thing. after pulling the cover, the plastic guide that holds the bar that locks up the handle busted. I put everything back together with the help of DUCT TAPE and WD-40 (man's real best friends)and now it all works fine.