Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Tailgate Window

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camoken, May 12, 2005.

1. camoken

camoken Registered Member

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has had this problem, my tailgate window on the ol 'burban will roll down but not up. I tested the switch and that's fine. To make matters worse, since the window is down I cant get to the motor or wiring behind the glass since it's down.

Any ideas on how to get the glass back up temporarily so I can test wiring?

Ken :confused:

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Do both the key switch in back and the dash switch not work in the going up mode? Check the wiring where it goes thru the firewall, its just a plug connection there (not solid wires going thru) they easily come disconnected.

3. camoken

Hmmm

Well the key wont turn, this thing has been sitting for quite some time and the lock cylinder is pretty much gummed up. Otherwise, I checked the up circuit and does not have continuity when the circuit is closed but the "down" does. I asked the original owner that, and he said that going up is a problem from the tailgate and the switch.

Thanks for the help!

Ken

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Trace your wiring from the dash switch back. You'll find the connection in the firewall that I was talking about. You'll also find a circuit breaker and a automotive 30amp relay. My relay went bad in mine, replaced it and all is well.

5. camoken

Thanks!!!

Thanks, much appreicated. It's funny how working on newer cars makes you over complicate these old suburbans and blazers!!! :grin:

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have had good results with my lock cylinders by spraying inside with electrical contact cleaner , then some white lithium inside , and gently working the key in and out and side to side . Key dipped in vaseline works too .

7. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Unbolt the sash piece from the regulator (glass off the guts lol) and you can get the glass out of your way or take it out all together. It is held on with 2 bolts on each side , very easy.

This will give you acess to everything :thumb:

8. camoken

sash piece

Is this on the side of the tailgate? Because right now the glass is covering the regulator scissors and motor. Thanks for your help :grin:

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You can get the glass out even if the window is down...its a little tricky to do, but can be done. With the tailgate access panel off, look down inside towards the bottom (towards the hinges) on each side of the window, you'll see 2 bolts about 6" - 8" apart from each other. If you use a wrench and a little tricky hand work, you can get those 4 bolts out and either remove the glass altogether, or remove it far enough to get to the guts of the tailgate. Just make sure to support the glass with like a plastic garbage can, don't just let it hang :thumb:

10. mikras1

mikras1 Registered Member

There is also a safety switch that prevents the glass from going up if the gate is not closed and latched.

Make sure the gate is closed tight and latched on both sides. If the window still doesn't go up, look in the access panel with a flashlight for wires going up to one of the latch points.

11. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

The sash is the metal piece that joins to the glass :grin:
    What tazz said works

12. camoken

Thanks guys

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help, I am going to print all these pointers and get to work tomorrow. I've got it narrowed down to either wiring or a switch. I am still going to test the motor on the bench and see what happens as well. I dont think it's the motor because there isnt a draw when the "up" switch is activated. We'll see..... :confused:

Thanks again guys

13. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I agree with the safety switch, but I don't know if a burb has one. On a Blazer it's on the inside of the tailgate on the driver's side next to the latch. Sometimes they get corroded and don't work correctly. Try shorting the 2 wires that go to that switch.

14. camoken

It's Alive!!!

Well thanks to ya'alls help I was able to fix it. I got the glass out of the way and the first thing I did was test the switch. Found no continuity when the circuit was closed. I jumpered the connector and voila, it works...

Thanks guys
    Ken

Now I have to tackle the cracked head gasket. It's running on 7 cylinders now so I'm going to try this gasket glass till i have time to go through and do the head gaskets on her.

Thanks again