Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear tires look like they are toe'd in at the top?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Feb 20, 2007.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Someone pointed this out to me. Im not sure if its an illusion or if something is amiss. But if you look at the back of the K5 while kneeling and look at the top and the bottom of the rear tire, it looks like the top is canted inward a lil bit. I jacked up the truck and tried pulling and pushing the tire to see if something was loose, nothing was, it was solid as can be. The truck drives jus fine. No noises or wondering on the roads. I dunno, jus seems odd to me. Both sides are the same.

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

If you have a 10 bolt rear axle it may be smiling at you (bent tubes). Take a tape measure and measure across from tire to tire on top and bottom. See if there is a difference

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Hmm, couldnt get a good measurement, but it does look off.

Where can I get a NEW 10bolt Gm housing? And no I dont wanna upgrade to 12bolt or 14FF. I dont wanna go to a 9" GM rear either. And I dont wanna do with junkyard parts.

Thanks

4. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

my truck seems to be smiling at me too... i figured it was the bearings... guess i may need to take some measurments ...

5. darryl

darryl Registered Member

i do not know where you can get a genuine new housing for your year but gm will have a hsg going back 3 years
    up here there is a heavy truck spring shop that tugs housings true there should be a shop where you are that does the same

6. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I just called a shop that does this type of stuff. They dont deal with the GM 10bolts. Im just amazed that there are millions of GM 10bolts put in trucks and cars and I cant find a new housing what so ever. I called one company and a 9" w/ locker will run me 2500bux. Im not goin to go with bigger than 33" tires, so I dont really need a 14FF, ill lose Ground clearance with that bad boy. oh well, the search continues.

7. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Shouldnt be anything wrong with a 10 bolt for 33s. Im on 35s, my friend wheels with 38 swampers on 10 bolts without problem.. 80s suburban with a 350, mud and secondary daily driver. Youd think shed be going through 10bolts left and right with that heavy burb but nope they dont break on her.

Maybe just find a good condition end-to-end axle?

8. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

WHY would ANYONE spend the $$$$ on a NEW 10 bolt housing/boat anchor when a 14 bolt could be swapped in for a fraction of the cost? :crazy:
    Shave the lip off of the 14 bolt and you won't loose enough clearance to notice. The swap is super easy. Go 14 bolt. I would rather see someone burn their money than see them spend it on a NEW 10 bolt IF you could find one.

9. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Numerous reasons. I want to keep with stock setup. Stock wheels. I dont want two diff. lug patterns for front and back. Ive also got alot of money tied up in the rear axle. with Strange Chromoly axles, 4:10gears and Locker. If I can get a housing for a couple hundred bux that that is cheaper than getting a 14ff and putting that in.

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You should be able to find a used 10-bolt housing for just about free.

You can get a complete drum-to-drum brand new military axle for just a few hundred.

11. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

do a search for "coleman's surplus". I don't know their website, but they are located in penn. and they have several brand new in the crate 10-bolts from CUCV blazers fairly good price If I remember correctly

12. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Nobody has suggested a 12 bolt? 6 lug.. not as bulky or heavy as a 14b?

13. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

I like the 14BSF, which is a 6 lug, but has a bigger 9.5" ring gear.

14. '71k204x4454

'71k204x4454 Registered Member

15. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

From post #3:

16. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

"IF" you could get a "new" housing it would be probably closer to $500 than $200. At least upgrade to the 14bsf with 6 lug.

17. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

but on 33s 14b get you high centered in a second.
    Im on 35s and i dont like how low my 10b is.
    Best option, find a used axle in good/great condition.. use gears out of the old one if they dont match.. This way you will also have a complete spare axle. Second best choice IMHO 12bolt. Still have a spare axle. used 10b probably be cheapest though. Im trying to save up to buy my friends locked 12b.

18. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Okay, just an odd question..What are the odds that it is something else causing the top of my tires to tip inward? I jacked it up and got no movement side to side or top to bottom. The axles are Strange Chomoly 28splines. About the only thing not new is the housing. all the other parts have less than 3ooo miles on them and very limited wheeling as well. I did find a brandnew one thru COles Surplus. Ive got the shipping cost and everything, I just need to make sure this is actually what the issue is. ALso what would cause this to happen?

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

holy crap dude... buy a "new housing"? Is there a reason you want to spend a couple grand + shop time polishing a turd??!?!!? Sorry to say it dude, but that has to be the worst idea of all time and the most expensive thing you could possibly do.

At the very least, consider the idea of finding a complete, used 10-bolt rear (won't be hard!) on craigslist or something. Hell, for less than the price of a brand new housing + shop time to put all your 10b parts in it, you could buy a whole K5 on craiglist and just use the entire thing for spare parts!

****edit****

ahhhh, i see what the problem is... you bought a bunch of bling parts for your 10-bolt, so now you are stuck with them. doh! sorry dude!

j

20. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

You could always buy a junkyard 10 bolt and just use the housing to swap your bling **** into.

Are you sure the housing is a problem and it is not an optical illusion? Sometimes your eyes will follow the body line and make the tires appear to bend in at the top. Have you measured anything? Used a straight edge and a level to see if the tire is canted in?

Just some suggestions before you go hawg wild.

Ira