Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear tow hooks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLZN4FN, Apr 18, 2003.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

What does everyone use as a rear hook?
    I do not have a rear hitch. Can D- rings be bolted to the bumper? any info and pics would help.
    Thanks

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

You can only attatch to your bumper if you dont like it and want it removed. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

A hitch is the best way to go IMO. Solid pull point and your pulling from the center rather than 1 rail. I have a hitch in the front also.

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I've got a towhook that fits in my 2" receiver...I can use it on the front receiver too

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've got both, receiver and bumper mount shackle mounts front and rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

I mounted by tow hooks to the frame and cut holes in the rear bumper to give access.

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I use the 2" ball in my reciever. A strap loop stays on it very good and there are no sharp edges to cut or fray the strap.

-Brian

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I use the 2" ball in my reciever. A strap loop stays on it very good and there are no sharp edges to cut or fray the strap.

-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't use a trailer ball they're not designed for the stress of a strap And they're in single shear= bad. If you have to take the ball off and use a shackle in the hole where the ball attachs.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't use a trailer ball they're not designed for the stress of a strap And they're in single shear= bad. If you have to take the ball off and use a shackle in the hole where the ball attachs.

[/ QUOTE ]I second that! Just imagine a 2lb cannon ball! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Take the whole reciecver out, stick your strap IN the hitch where the reciever goes and put the pin thru the strap. Thats how I do it, and no sharp edges.

9. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone I guess I will invest in a rear hitch
    to get a pull point.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

88-98 tow hooks (~$22 for the kit) bolted to the frame. Haven't been towed out by them yet but I've dragged a great many Jeep and S10 with them.

Yeah, the strap will rub on the bumper, but my bumper doesn't have any sharp edges. It's better than nothing. I didn't want to put my receiver hitch on without a lift because it'd kill my departure angle worse than my spare tire already does.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you are trying to keep a stock bumper get the mounts from an M1008 or M1009 cut two holes in your bumper an you've got a place to attach mil style d-rings.