Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear trailing arm improvements?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 13lazer, Jun 20, 2006.

1. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

i have recently lowered the rear of my blazer by 2" with blocks. i didn't plan it but after upgrading to front disks i needed to level it out. it seems very unstable now during freeway runs. mostly while driving really fast and the road bends a little. the rear of the truck gets all squirly and it seems a little top heavy. what are my options concerning improving the performance of my rig? its a 2wd blazer with a coil spring rear. im running a set of 17" oem toyota sequoia alloy wheels. i want it to ride like my stang where i bumped up my springs from 400# to 600# and added all the sway bars, among alot more.
    how can i modify my rear suspension it improve handling

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Did you replace all the bushings in the rear suspension? Aftermarket sway bar would also help. Are the shocks good? I would ditch the blocks and order some tailor made drop springs for a pickup. Also, boxing in and reinforcing the trailing arms to reduce flex and bending will help. Do some research on same year Chevelle and Malibu handling mods-pretty close to the same design suspension.

3. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

the blocks aren't a good idea? i thought they were the same as stock because the shock absorber mount position is not modified, and you keep your stock spring travel. good advice, i did try to swap the bushings. i couldn't budge those bolts with a 4 foot structural steel assembly sized torque wrench. i'm sure i can get them with the multiplier. i wonder if the chevelle trailing arms are the same as truck trailing arms? maybe i'll try to install that swaybar i bought from summit. i couldn't figure that one out at first so i chucked it.
    thanks, i'll post later when i dial it in.