Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear uj

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tankie88, Oct 30, 2006.

1. tankie88

tankie88 Registered Member

the rear uj coupling has gone on my rear prop.Can i take off the prop and put it in 4wd and drive on front wheel drive for a couple of days untill the new one arrives?....M1009.

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Yes, but no hard accelleration, and no high speed.
    Basically just to putter around a little.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

'ello Mate, where ya be located at?
    My "trouble 'n strife" is from Salisbury, 'er Mum lives in Aldershot.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

As long as you have a fixed yoke on the rear of your t-case. If you have a slip yoke, you're going to be puking out fluid unless you plug the hole.

5. tankie88

Thanks for the info,but i seem for myself when i took the prop off that oil comes out.So i won't drive it until the UJ comes.On the Army manuals i notice the uj end caps are held on with 4 clips...on my uj it has 2 clips on the axle end and none on the prop end(just wondering how the caps are kept in).It looks like there is some sort of pin holding them on.The one i,ve ordered from germany from a M1009 dealer has 4 clips as well,i take it the clips some how fit on the inside of the yoke to stop the end caps comming off?????

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

there are different combinations of whether or not it will have clips. to apply the clips, you clamp them with a set of pliers and slip them in the opening. those which don't have clips usually have a nub on the yoke to keep the caps from moving out the sides. on my 14bff, it have clips on the driveshaft and nubs on the yoke which hold the caps in place. they're pretty simple - you'll figre it out pretty quick when you take a look. :)

7. tankie88

on looking further there looks like plastic pins in the yoke holding the endcaps on,are these the nubs you are on about?? I,ve tryed useing a socket and vice to push them out,but no joy.I take it rust is holding them in now??

8. colbystephens

hmmm. i'm not familiar w/ any plastic pins. do you have the ability to snap a photo? maybe i'm not on the same page as you.

9. colbystephens

i'm beginning to think that i'm not talking about what you are, but here's what i got.

[​IMG]

first, undo the bolts which hold the straps to the yoke. the nub i'm talking about it circled in red and labeled "1." sometimes it can be difficult to get the yoke to let go of the u-joint, so i sometimes put a prybar in and gently pursuade it to come out. honestly it's gentle tho, as you don't want to be tweeking it by putting force on it in a direction that is not designed to see force. after the joint pops free, it's easiest to remove the driveshaft from the truck (i believe you have a 205 t-case, right?) so you'll need to do the same process at the t-case. the clips are circled in red and labeled "2." pinch the clip together with pliers to remove the clips, then get the ujoint pressed out (i.e. big hammer and a socket.).

10. colbystephens

you were too quick for me! :) i don't think we have similar yokes... sorry. :(

11. colbystephens

i believe that type of set up uses C clips on the inside of the yoke. get a little pick w/ a curved end and pull those clips out, then push (i.e. hammer w/ a socket smaller than the cap diameter) the ujoint in one direction to get the caps loosened up so you can get teh ujoint out.

12. tankie88

13. colbystephens

the location of one of the c-clips i'm talking about is circled. :) u shouldn't have to push out any pins.

[​IMG]

14. tankie88

i can only see one set of clips and that was on the endcaps that were clamped to the axle.

15. colbystephens

i think there are C-clips inside the rubber on the inside of the cap (meaning, where the red cicle is on the photo of your u-joint).

16. tankie88

i'll go looky looky

17. tankie88

Uj

no clips anywhere

18. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

some of the joints from GM were installed using a injected plastic. You need to heat it up, and melt it out. Be careful. the last one I did shot the endcap off. I wasn't in the way but it went pretty far. Only the first one went flying. once the pressure was off the other side only fell out. No fireworks.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  19. tankie88

Thanks for that bit of info.So what happens when i want to put a new UJ in the yoke?????

20. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Definitely plastic injection yokes.

When you install the new u-joint, they come with clips that go on the inside of the caps (near the cross).