Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear view mirror thread????please link it up!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazeonchevy, Aug 29, 2006.

1. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

i know there was a thread about getting a rearview mirror to stick a while back.. i cant remember what it was called but it was a guy that couldent get his to stay on. im having the same problem.. so could someone find that thread if you know what it was called..:o thank you for the help.. i would do it but i cant afford membership.. all money goes to gas and stupid upgrades that i dont need.. for i am but a dumb kid. :crazy:

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

thanks! this is the second time it has fallen off. this time it broke.:mad: cracks down one side. dang that was quick too. thanks again. Sam.

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The guy that came out to replace my windshield said that if I ever had a mirror that needed to be glued on to just drop by their shop and they'd do it for free. Might want to call around and see if someone would take care of it for you.

5. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

http://www.thistothat.com/faq/mirror.shtml

We are amazed at the number of rear view mirror to windshield requests we get regularly, and for this reason, we researched this exact bonding challenge.
    It is a difficult one; firstly because glass does not have adherent qualities, also due to the awkward angle a clamp is impossible, and ideally a glue that does not break down under UV is preferable. What we would like to know is why the automobile manufacturers have not addressed this problem?
    After testing several products we recommend:
    [SIZE=+1]Loctite 349 Impruv[/SIZE] ​
    for the windshield to rear view mirror dilemma because we know it is UV rated and optically clear. We tried Seal-All but were less impressed. Another tip to keep in mind when you buy your next car... some have the rear view mirror coming from the ceiling of the car.

6. TrevorD

TrevorD Newbie

This is an old thread but if it helps anyone

Loctite Impruv is great stuff but pretty expensive. If you want a cheaper option that imo does the job as well, try this Permatex Epoxy. Been holding great for me so far and cost me only $5.
    www.gluehow.com/glues/Permatex5MinuteGeneralPurposeEpoxy