Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear view mirrors are way loose

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cryptobiotic, Mar 12, 2003.

1. cryptobiotic

cryptobiotic Registered Member

My rearview mirrors on my doors are really loose, do i have to take the door panels off to tighten them, and is that hard to do??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

no take the chrome cover off the side and there is one bolt right in the middle that you have to tighten

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Depends which kind you have. I have the larger framed ones that bolt on at three points. I have to remove the door panels to tighten them. If they are rusted you will have some problems as mine are.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have always just removed the door skins and tightened the mirrors from the inside. I am pretty sure that a 83 has the same mirrors as an 85

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The bolts are accessible after removing the cover from the outside. (small torx bit, T-15?)

If the plastic "sleeve" is missing though, you may not be able to tighten it up. Don't overtighten, the bolts aren't threaded very well. If the sleeve is missing, make another one out of a bicycle tire tube or something similar, it has to "grab" the post, but still allow for some adjustment.

6. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

These are all good ideas. I have had to do lots of repair to both side-view mirrors. Because they are extended towing mirrors, there is alot more leverage on the doors and mounts. Eventually, this lead to both sides cracking the door steel on each of the three mounting points. I fixed this by drilling out the the mirror bracket and the door. Then I installing bolts, nuts, and BIG washers inside the door. To hold the mirrors from swinging, I drilled out the clamps around the mirror arm and used nuts and bolts to get a real grip on it. Then I covered it all back up with the chrome cover. Sounds confusing, but it's worked great! Good Luck...