Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Wheel Bearing HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by flynhi, Mar 13, 2003.

1. flynhi

flynhi Registered Member

I have seen posts on how to replace the FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS, I need some instructions on the REAR, I assume i have a rare problem.... Or .... Its so simple that instructions are not needed, well I am a newbe and instructions and tools that are needed would be a BIG help. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

If it is a stock 10 bolt do the following:
    Get the back in the air with the wheels off
    Remove the diff cover
    Turn the gear inside until you see the end of a rod with a bolt holding it in. (bolt goes through the side of the diff carrier into the rod)
    Take out the bolt, then pull out the rod. Be careful not to turn the axles or gears now or the spider gears might fall out.
    Now you push the axle toward the differential and remove the C-clip (a magnet works well)
    Then you pull the axle out.
    You can remove the seal with a big screwdriver
    You need a three arm slide hammer to pull the bearing out of the axle housing.
    Then you just drive a new bearing and seal back in and put it all back together.

The only tool you really need to buy/rent is the slide hammer.
    A repair manual prolly has pictures and better instructions but that is the basic idea. If the cross shaft bolt isn't broken you should be able to do both sides in a couple of hours your first time. Have Fun! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You can also look at the repair guides on autozone.com they look like an on-line version of the Haynes manual I think.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

First of all .... Welcome to CK5!

What problems are you having?

Rear wheel bearings are not very hard to replace but, depending on what type of axle you have the process can vary considerably.

Looking at your profile, your truck has been modified a little bit. Do you still have the stock axle?

If you can identify the axle (Click here for help) that would be helpful.

If you have a 14bff then replacing the wheel bearings is almost the same as the fronts.

4. flynhi

flynhi Registered Member

Ok .. I have gone out and looked and it is not a 10 bolt it is a 12 bolt does this change the directions that were given ?????

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Since the 12 bolt is a semi floater I think it is done the same way.

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status