Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear wheel bearing replacement on 10 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rick88blaze, Jul 16, 2003.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i'm trying to nurse my 10 bolts until this fall when i should be able to get my 3/4 ton axles. i'm replacing my rear wheel bearings this weekend and was wondering if any of you had any tips for me. it's got 3.42 gears and a gov-loc. thanks in advance for the help.

also i saw at AutoZone that they have a kit that moves the bearings just in case the axle is grooved. does anybody know if these are any good or not. i don't know if mine are grooved or not. just figured i'd ask about this kit just in case they are.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I am using that bearing, and haven't had any problems.

I would rather of had the sleave/bearing set up.

When you change out that bearing, make sure that you have a good slide hammer and an evil look in your eye....

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yep yer gonna need a good slide hammer with the right attachments..oh and dont pinch yourself with the slide hammer..will last for a week..

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

good slide hammer.dont pinch yourself with it either..DOH

5. rick88blaze

thanks for the input. i'll be using a 5 pound slide hammer from a friend of mine, so hopefully they won't be too bad. i'll let you know how it turns out after i get them done.

rick

6. rick88blaze

i had to scratch the whole project. the bolt that holds the cross pin bolt in place is broke inside of the housing. the way it's broke it's not going to come apart. i'm just going to nurse it until next month. save up some $$$ and put in a 14 bolt. there's a pick-a-part yard here that only wants $195 an axle no matter what type it is. so i'm going to try and find a matched set for the front and rear with at least 4.10 gears. maybe i'll get lucky and get a D60 while i'm out there too.