Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear wheel bearings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GMC4by4, Jun 1, 2000.

1. GMC4by4

GMC4by4 Registered Member

I jacked up the rear of my Jimmy to check the wheel bearings and, lo and behold, there is a ton of play in the bearings. How hard is it to change or repack the rear wheel bearings? Thanks.

-Rick

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

If there is any play in them they need too be replaced before they fail.I assume you have a 10 or a 12 bolt.THe easiest way is too go rent or borrow a slide hammer.Some have the piece that will slide inside then pull away.THats the only way i've ever done them anyone else got idea.Also check the axles for wear the bearings ride right on the axle as the inner race.If the axle is worn you will need too get a replacement or it will always have slop in it.

3. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

If you don't have a slide hammer you can put the drum on backwards, put the lug nuts back on and use the drum as the hammer.

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

You can also take a length of small chain and weld a piece of metal that will fit behind the bearings and weld it to the chain.Than use a long pry bar or tire iron and pry the chain.This should pull them out.If you replace them get the ones that move the bearings and seal to different spots on the axles.Napa has them.I call them axles savers.They work great.Brady

5. GMC4by4

GMC4by4 Registered Member

Do I have to disconnect anything inside the differential before I remove the axles? I'll call NAPA first, as they're the only parts store within cycling distance. Don't want to have to buy axles, too. Although, it seems from this Forum that replacing rear end components is a K5 rite of passage. A guy up the street just bought a 6.2 K5 and immediately (next day) tore the suspension off and raised it 4". God bless him...

-Rick

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

What do you mean by "play". The axle shafts will slide in and out a little bit (1/8" or so) because of the design of the c-clip retainers. If you have radial movement (up/down or back/forward), there is a problem. If the bearings are worn that much, it normally takes the seals out too, and you will almost always be leaking a lot of gear oil onto the brakes and the back side of the tire.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350