Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear wheel lock up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balazerjake86, Dec 6, 2002.

1. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

My 1986 blazer has a little problem with the passenger side wheel. I noticed that when i drive it it feels like the back is dragging and not really spinning very good. I put the truck in neutral and jacked it up and the right wheels spins fine but the right one(sitting inside the vechicle) does not spin properly. my dad said that it started to happen after he put the parking brake on. i talked to a friend and he said that there is an adjusting nut that i can move and it might solve the problem but are these drums self adjusting? any way how do i fix this prob and is there any way that the parking brake is just not disengaging if so how do i fix this thanks all

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Remove the tire that isn't spinning properly and take the drum off. You might have junk in there not allowing the shoes to return after braking.

There is an adjustment screw that'll allow you to adjust the rear drum brakes, but you should definitely take the drum off 1st to see if you have a bigger problem than that. The adjustment screw can be turned through a slit in the backing plate, You might have a rubber plug in the slit that'll have to be removed.

Thomas.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The adjusting nut looks like a star and is located near the bottom of the drum assembly.
    To see if they're self adjusting - (I think they are) - drive in reverse, and hit the brakes...they should adjust.
    I agree with the previous statement to take off the drum and at least take a look for obvious problems.

4. I think that if you have the adjusting nut on backwards it'll cause this prob. Might want to check that.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would agree with most here except you said that it started when he applied the ebrakes, that is usually a sign of the cable seizing, or dust and gunk in the brake system.
    First have someone press the ebrake while you look at the cable and see if it pulls out and then moves back when they release it. I fnot , you found your culprit, mine does that now and I just pull on it with my hand and it unlocks so I am not using it untill I change the cable.
    If it is working properly then take the drum off and clean the assembly, I use compressed air then brake parts cleaner.