Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear wheel spacers: function or looks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by The Loner, Aug 19, 2002.

1. The Loner

The Loner Registered Member

I was wondering if everyone got the spacers just for looks, or if they actually serve some purpose. Is the vehicle noticably more stable on hill climbs, off camber, and just when cornering? A lot of the compitition vehicles run 6" narrower in the rear because it makes it easier to clear the gates. I'm sure they wouldn't do this if it caused stability issues.

I have also heard the rear is narrower so the vehicle will turn tighter. Has anyone actually done a before/after test to confirm/deny this? Thanks-B

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would say looks! I have never used them but it is a way to get the rear to 'look/track' the same as the front.
    .02c

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Pete's (yunit) tires were hitting his inner fenders, so he got spacers and they don't hit anymore. That counts as functional, right? Aside from that, I think it's mostly for looks

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have them on my list of "things to get". I like'em /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My tires clear the outer fender lip but hit the inner fender...with spacers I'd need to hack the outside, without spacers I need to tub the truck. I'll probably have to do both with the 39.5's.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

everyone i talked to said it will help track better but the farther your tires are pushed outward the more stress is put on the axle shafts.

7. sidslc

sidslc Registered Member

every inch counts on a steep side hill with big tires and low air pressure. and in mud the rear tires do not halfto cut new lines wich means more momentum.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

definitely for function... the tires being spaced further out makes a rig naturally more stable... especially since it evens them out with the front. Also, if you do a lot of muddy-trail driving, I find it annoying that the front and rear wheels go through ruts differently... sometimes I pick the line I want... front end goes right over it... and then the back end slides around cause its going over the stuff I was trying to avoid with my original line. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That is true only if you haven't put REAL axles under your rig yet. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Function. Helps clear the inner tubs. It also get the track right so when your running a screwed up rut the rear end will not be falling into it quite as easy. I have caved the whold side of my truck in falling into V ruts that the front end was level and the rear end dropped and dragged the truck down. 1.5 doesn't sound like much bit it make a difference. IO run 2 inchers.
    Stress on the axle....yeah a little but so does an offset wheel. Carry a spare.
    If you run them double nut them. I had one get loose on me at 60MPH.
    As for the turning... My truck is locked both end it doesn't turn for crap any way if I have it in 4wd. If I want to turn tight I back it into 2 Low power brake it and bring the rear around or put the Bumper against Berms and throttle it around. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif