Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Wheel Spacers??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backcountry, Sep 27, 2004.

1. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Does anyone use wheel spacers on their rear ends? I would like my rear end to equal my front track if possible or practical.

Any suggestions both positive and negative?

If so, any suggestions on witch ones to purchase?

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Unsafe IMO.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

They arnt that bad if you have a 14bff.

4. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yep, those are the ones I run. They kick azz. People say that you should check the nuts on them to make sure they are tight every time you take your wheels off... well, I have been for more than 3 years now and my torque wrench always just clicks. They haven't loosened up a single ft/lb, so far as I can tell, in 3 years. I keep checking them tho.

IMO, they are only "unsafe" if you don't take the time to check them on occassion.... just like wheel lug nuts and the nuts on your u-bolts and stuff... check them frequently and you wont have any probs.

Having the front/rear track equal is a very good thing IMO. Wider is better with respect to stability sure, but more importantly your front and read tires will follow the same lines when you're offroad. Back when I had different width axles, I used to get annoyed that I'd have my front tires going where I wanted them but when the rear tires would get to the same spot they would be slipping/sliding in/out of the ruts the front tires were running in.

j

6. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Those spacers look very stout. My only concern would be my 12 bolt rear end. I only have 35" tires though. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

There is absolutely noting unsafe about a quality wheel spacer less than a 1.5" or so—at least no more unsafe than any after market aluminum wheel. Of course like aluminum wheels you’ll wanna check your bolt torque periodically after the first several miles.

I run 1.5" wheel spacers from Performance Wheel & Tire on my Jimmy originally with a 10b and 35s and now w/ a 14b and 38s. I personally can't stand the look of a narrower rear axle. Other than just looks though, I can't vouch for any noticeable difference in handing or off-road performance.