Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear wheel spacers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bowtie4466, Nov 27, 2000.

1. bowtie4466

bowtie4466 Registered Member

Has anyone tried the K5 rear wheel spacers that space the rear wheels out in line with the front? Are they safe for off-road use?

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

There was an article on them in the March 2000 issue of 4x4 Power. The dont recommend them on tires over 33".
    Performance Wheel and Tire, 1096 W. Hampden Ave., Englewood, Co. 80110 (303)934-2929 was the source they listed.

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I have them. Ordered them online from performence wheels. Their link is in the tech-article section. I Love them!! My 33 12,5 Bfg's now stick out nicely in the rear wheel-wells, where they where hiding before. The truck handles the same, looks better.
    They are the strongest spacers available. The 1,5 inch ones I got, with 12 open end lug-nuts, cost me $182 shipping across the Atlantic included,

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

4. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

i think steve has them for his 14 bolt and as far as i know they work great and i know he has been on some tough trails and daily driven with 35 or 36" tires i was wondering if they would be safe for a 40" or 44" tire with tough trail abuse. <font color=red>anybody know ?</font color=red>

[​IMG] SMP

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

So I checked out the site... and checking to see if they make spacers for 6 lug wheels... I'm assuming the "large" are for 6 lugs.
    On the ordering page, it only shows for 5 lug wheels, 8 lug wheels and a large size..
    Guess I'm trying to find out if they are made for the standard 6 lug wheels.
    Thanks..

(updated) http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

7. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I cut and pasted this from off-roads spacer review.

The quality of these spacers is superb. Made from high quality 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum, there's no reason to worry about breaking or cracking. They make spacers in 4, 5, 6 or 8 lug ranging from widths of 1" to 2.75". Before we ordered, we measured the difference in length between our front and rear axle. Ours happened to be 3" of difference so we ordered the 1.5" spacers.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

One question - do you have to change out the studs on your axle shafts before you add the spacers?

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I would hope so!! Those dainty little 7/16" studs are no match for the increased leverage exerted by the now spaced out tire/wheel combo. That's a disaster just waiting to happen!!!

ken

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

No, you don't have to change out the original wheel studs when using the spacers. The Performance Tire and Wheel spacers have a separate set of studs built into the spacer that are used to hold the tire and wheel on and then have a seperate set of holes drilled in the spacers that attach to the original studs...........look at the product review on main page for a picture of what I'm talking about.
    I've run 1.5" wide spacers on the back of my Blazer with 35" tires for about a year or so now and go fourwheeling on a regular basis with no failure of the studs. If you were running bigger tires, say 38's or so, you might want to consider upgrading to larger studs.....but if you are running that size tires and usually the vehicle hard you would probably have a 8 lug axle in it anyways.
    Personally, I have seen numerous rigs running either stock 5 or 6 lug axles and big tires and I have never seen a stud failure.

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Just to be extra safe the bigger studs would be better. BUT, if you are running 33 radials and smaller, you should be ok with the 7/16's. I haven't had any problem with mine "YET" LOL!!!!

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

12. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well, I have personally witnessed 7/16" studs snapping when wheeling with my buddy in his '74 K5. He had no spacers, and was running 36x14.50 Flot Trac tires (remember those?!) and was going slow in the sand. Luckily it didn't happen on the freeway trip home!!!! I guess that's why I have an affinity for beefy 8 lug axles with their 9/16" studs...life is too precious to chance!!

ken

13. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Had all six studs let loose on the passenger side rear of mine once at 45mph. What a ride!! That 33" bounced like a basketball for quite a distance. And the brake drum made a hell of a rooster tail of sparks!

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!