Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear wheelwell dirt shields

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Oct 27, 2004.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What can I say, I hate rust!

So here they are. Planned on making the rear part for 2+ years, finally got around to it. Hunting in 2 days, so as long as I don't break the engine again, should have a pretty good report as to how well they perform with mud and gravel in 12 days.

pics

I almost want them hanging down more, but first, you'd actually be able to see them and I don't like mud flaps, and secondly, they'd interfere with the exhuast which is just below them in the picture.

These would be even more effective with shorter tires, but thats ok. If these stop a majority of the stuff being thrown off the tires from ending up on the underside of the bed, I'll be happy.

Doubt many people care, but since I had the camera and could take a couple pictures, I figured why not.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

they look good, that is one of the wortst spots to clean after a mud run especially around the rear bumper.
    It should keep alot of the crap out of there.
    Nice job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The front one especially, I pulled a "brick" of mud out of there a while back, hardest area to get clean on the whole truck IMO

5. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

those look awesome! i am in the process of making some i just gotta find somewhere to buy the flap material.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not that it will help anyone, but the place I got the material from (both the mud flaps originally, and the conveyor belt stuff this time) is an industrial supply place that ends up mainly with odds and ends...hose, chain, sections of metal, etc. The place you can pick over a long time finding different stuff around every corner.

Cheap too, $1/pound.

For mudflaps, if you've got any wrecking yards around, buses and semi-trailers might net you a couple.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Some guys around here use those roll up toboggans they sell at Wal-Mart that little kids slide on in the snow to line their wheel wells--its nothing but a sheet of polyurethane plastic,its pretty slippery,and mud doesn't stick to it very well--it keeps road salt off the inner fenders too,and prevents those big ugly slush "stalagmites"from growing on the fenderwells .They should build a whole truck out of it for us rustbelters!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif