Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Winch Bumper?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Trailboss_jr, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Trailboss_jr

Trailboss_jr Registered Member

Anyone used/built/seen one???

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

no i haven't but i'd like to.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I had room behind the bumper on my pickup.
    mine ended up too deep in the frame, next time i will pull it out for easier access.
    I ended up cutting slot in bed for removeable free spool handle that if i had set it back further wouldnt have been necesary (or I could have spent more time fabing linkages but bed is beater anyway)

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Kennesaw Mountain Accessories makes one. I priced one from KMA for a little over $300 + freight. Kyle at KMA sent me a picture of a rear non-winch bumper via email but I have yet to see an actual picture of a winch bumper.

If you want, I can send you the picture he sent to me (tonight).

6. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

My bumper has 2 receivers in the rear used to hold my winch. My winch sits on a custom rack I made that slides into the receivers. Does the same on the front. I'll send you pics if you want to see. - Doug

7. Trailboss_jr

Thanks, I didn't know Kyle made a rear wincher - was thinking of using their front wincher but bad reviews here scared me away for now - the pics would be great though!

8. Trailboss_jr

Always looking for good ideas, love to see the pics. I thought about the receiver thing but when you're into the big mud holes, if you have the thing on the wrong end - you might not be gettin out!!! The impact on approach/departure with the receiver winches seems big too??? I'm afraid if they're hanging out there, they're the first thing to get whacked!!

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have a second 8000lb winch laying here and I have been seriously considering bolting it to the rear floor inside the tailgate.
    Why not do sumthin like that?
    Mike

10. Trailboss_jr

Thumper, thought of that one too - I've just been nose down too often in a big hole and if the winch were in the back, the gate open, and the anchor point low - i don't think the gate and cable would get along too well!!! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Would be good fro p/u or blazer with no gate!!! It would likely be a big job to fab up a mounting sytem if you put it that far above the frame???

11. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Yes, it kills departure andapproach angles, but it is removable and it kept me from flipping last weekend when i put it on the front and lowered my self back down the obstacle /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I need to make a website to post my pics. - Doug