Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window air deflector for '87

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GruntHunter, Apr 28, 2002.

1. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

Rear window air deflector for \'87

I have an '87 K5 that I use for hunting and travel very dusty roads. I can't seem to keep the dust from coming in around the rear window. I'm trying to find someone who still makes air deflecters for '87 Blazers. My neighbor has one and I've seen them on Blazer's at truck shows but nobody seems to remember who made them or where to get them. I have photos of what I'm looking for that I can e-mail out if someone thinks they have a source. (I don't know how to paste them in this message.)
    Any suggestions?

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

Re: Rear window air deflector for \'87

far as i know, nobody makes them anymore. you can get an original one off a donar vehicle in a salvage yard, or do like i plan to do and find a vehicle with similar rear window dimensions and order it. my problem was keeping extra water out of the back window area to prevent leakage, and a 95' ford f150 full size is suppost to fit. i havent ordered as of yet, but will soon. i see lots of after market products out there for this purpose, but none listed for our older vehicles. i guess automotive accessorey manufactors dont want to regress in years, only make for the newer vehicles. let me know if you do come across anything, as well as the rest of this board, i bet, would be interested also.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I had the same problem with dust coming in. I replaced all the weather striping around the tailgate and window. And adjusted it so it closed tight. Now I can go down the dustist road and get very little dust inside. And believe me I live in a very dusty state.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW the Suburbans use the same "spoiler" as the K5's. (but if it has the full rack, the spoiler is integral, so not useable) I've got one I'm going to put on (hopefully keep the rear window cleaner longer than 2 minutes when its raining) but without putting holes all the way through the topper, not sure how I'm going to do it...GM used the same type of rivet-nuts on the topper for the spoiler as they did to hold the side mirrors on the doors...I'm not aware of a source for these things either. (anyone else? GM still?)

5. 87JIMMY

87JIMMY Registered Member

On my Jimmy, the spoiler was attached with well-nuts with holes only thru the outside layer of the topper. I took it off and plugged the holes before repainting it and after driving in the rain, I redrilled the holes and put it back on. They do help !!

6. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Actually, GTS still makes a rear window deflector for 76-91 blazer/jimmy. It's part #GT56010. It's now made of some fancy material that is basically tinted lexan. Cost= about $60.00

7. dyeager535

Never heard of "well nuts" before, but are they basically rivets that are threaded or something else I haven't seen?

I thought I recalled seeing some tops with actual rubber "gaskets" around the bolt holes, but the one I just picked up most definitely didn't have the rubber gaskets....just the "threaded rivet" which on this one, had broken.

8. 87JIMMY

87JIMMY Registered Member

Well-nuts are small cylindrical rubber pcs with a theaded insert in them. You drill a hole in the topper and push the nut in from the outside, place the part to be attached on, insert screw and start tightening. The rubber expands to fill the hole as the nut is brought closer to the surface. Kindof like expanding concrete anchors. Clear as mud ,right? Most good hardware stores have them or try www.mcmaster.com
    Hope this helps

9. dyeager535

No that makes perfect sense. I've seen something similar before on a K5 top, so I figure maybe GM did use them at one time. Even after removing the spoiler, I couldn't pull them out to see how they were constructed. I'll check around locally and see if I can't find them, the spoiler definitely seems to help the back window problem from peoples experiences, which makes sense. Thanks!

10. dyeager535