Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Window Cable Snapped!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89K5, Aug 28, 2000.

1. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Anybody ever replace the cable in the rear window?
    Put my rear window down this weekend and when I went to put it up the motor spun and the window didn't move. Took out the back panel and found that the cable that drives the gears rusted and snapped. I cut the tubbing around the cable and put it in the my drill and put the window back up. I don't wanna have to crawl back their to do that every time I need the window down and I can't haul anything now. Any help would be great!

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Me and a freind of mine changed mine out about a two years ago. Cost about $15 from the dealer. Didn't take us but about 5 min. Nothing to it.

Kyle
    89K5

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Hey, what's wrong with using a drill??!!??[​IMG][​IMG]
    My motor went and that's what I used to use to put my window up and down, just left the cable disconnected and used the drill when I had to! In the meantime, an open end wrench or slip-joint pliers will help spin the cable nut off at both ends (the motor and the regulator) and then just screw on the new one!

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

4. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. Sounds like an easy job. While I'm in there I noticed the piece holding the window was almost rusted away - I think I'll replace that too.
    I told my son if he was bad, I would make him bite it and I'd spin him around to get the window up.