Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear window conversion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Aug 25, 2001.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to convert over from a crank to a power rear window... I figure it can't be that bad and i am thinking about running to a local junkyard soon for a used but working motor...First things first is how do you detach the crank plate or attach the new power module to the tailgate?? I think i can handle the rest but having an idea of how to do it before going out there could help

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BowtieBlazer on 08/25/01 12:16 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Shouldn't be to bad. Just find a K5 and see if you can pull the stuff yourself. Going to need the regulator, Latch with safety switch and the wiring. It should plug into the stock fuse box without much problem and you will need the dash switch. Pulling it yourself will be best so you can see how it routes.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

whats the regulator? And do i really need the safety switch??

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Regulator is what the mechanisim that raises and lowers the window is called.
    Guess you don't need the safety switch but it prevents you from operating the window if the gate is not closed so that you don't accidently bust the window.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Also the regulators are different for the power,one of the arms on the power reg is bent, I guess to facilitate the motor but I'm not sure!

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

DOn't do it man, at least with manual, you know your window will go up and down, you don't need to pray for it to work. I converted from elec. to manual and it was the best 250 bucks I've spent in a long time. Just my 2 cents.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think I'll have to agree,add motor+murphy's law = wet interior[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!