Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window crank went into free spool.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by POWERMAD, Dec 8, 2001.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Cranking the window up the other day the crank let go.
    I took the rear cover off and took the 4 bolts out that hold the regulator in and still can't get it out of the way to see what went out.
    My manual is worthless on this problem.
    How do I go about disassembleing the window assy. ?

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If it is in the down position and broken the you will have to unbolt the glass. There are 4 small bolts that hold them to the crank mechanism. Take the two top cover plates off your tail gate and remove the glass. Look down in the hole and there will be two nut on the outer part of the hull that hold your crank handle on. Take those off and the crank handle will come out. It should have a round piece ont he inside of it that has two ears sticking off. Most likely you broke these ears off. If you just need to get your window up for now leave the crank handle off and reassemble the rest. In the hole the crank handle went in will be a cross bar. You can use a screwdriver to turn this and it will roll up the glass. It is easier if you pull up on the glass while turning the bar.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

If you need a new crank I got from the dealer for about ten more bucks tan from the local yard and it was brand new. I think total was cost was about 80 bucks or maybe 100. But it has been well worth it. Can't help ya on how to figure it out I just replaced mine so as to not have to worry about it

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 35's

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I've been running mine in the broken mode forever. Just have the T-looking dealy there. I use a screwdriver thru a combo wrench to turn it to work the window. Kinda more security, since my crank lock never locked.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Thanx for the info guys.
    Now I just have to get those bolts off of the window part.
    They look pretty corroded, I am having visions of them snapping off.
    Hopefuly after soaking in PB Blaster all night they will come on out.
    See ya

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>