Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REAR WINDOW DOESNT ROLL UP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TB2Blazer, Jun 2, 2003.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

My rear window in my 85 K5 rolls down but won't roll up. I have checked the front switch and fuses. Anyone have any idea whats wrong?

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

there is a cutout switch on one of the latches in the tailgate, i believe it's the drivers side. (it cuts power to the motor if the tailgate latch is open.) check that to see if it's bad. the dealer should have a new one if it is. or you could just cut the wires, and splice them together like i did. just make sure you don't try to roll the window up if the tailgate is open.

3. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

i got a 90 jimmy and i can roll my window up or down when my tailgate is down /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

One thing that happens to me sometimes is the liftgate support cables get caught in my tailgate and will not let that latch close properly. Another thing is that my window got stuck in the up position over the winter, and I had to lude the gears up to get it released. Regulator cable got chewed up too and had to be replaced.

Brady

5. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I had a similar issue but it was my window regulator on the drivers side (where its been hit) was bent and binding. After straightening and lubing real well it goes up and down pretty easy.

Here is a good thread that gave me some good ideas on how to fix mine.

6. 87project

87project Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    there is a cutout switch on one of the latches in the tailgate, i believe it's the drivers side. (it cuts power to the motor if the tailgate latch is open.) check that to see if it's bad. the dealer should have a new one if it is. or you could just cut the wires, and splice them together like i did. just make sure you don't try to roll the window up if the tailgate is open.

[/ QUOTE ]that was my problem 2 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rdwest1369

rdwest1369 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    One thing that happens to me sometimes is the liftgate support cables get caught in my tailgate and will not let that latch close properly. Another thing is that my window got stuck in the up position over the winter, and I had to lude the gears up to get it released. Regulator cable got chewed up too and had to be replaced.

Brady

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ive got the same problem on my 78 Jimmy except the regulator cable needs to be replaced & I cant get to the thing window glass is blocking access Ive tried all kinds of thing to get the window up but its stuck in the down position any suggestions will be appreciated.& Ive been told the cable is no longer available /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    thanks
    RichW

8. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

my 88 model blazer will roll up & down w/ the tailgate up or down. when mine quit working it was the switch your key goes in. it is made real simple, & was just full of mud. just had to clean the contacts.

9. rdwest1369

[ QUOTE ]
    my 88 model blazer will roll up & down w/ the tailgate up or down. when mine quit working it was the switch your key goes in. it is made real simple, & was just full of mud. just had to clean the contacts.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I wish it were this simple but I can see the cable hanging off the motor behind the window & I cant raise the window to get to it

10. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i had this problem a little while ago. first off, check to make sure ur tailgate is actually ligning up properly, if its not, the power ain't gonna get there(ie- the cutoff switch thinks its open) second, try opening the tailgate, pushing the latches on both sides closed and the try everyswitch (on the dash and the tailgate) If neither works, theres suttin else that i can't see would cause the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. rdwest1369

[ QUOTE ]
    i had this problem a little while ago. first off, check to make sure ur tailgate is actually ligning up properly, if its not, the power ain't gonna get there(ie- the cutoff switch thinks its open) second, try opening the tailgate, pushing the latches on both sides closed and the try every switch (on the dash and the tailgate) If neither works, theres suttin else that i can't see would cause the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks but like I said the cable to the motor is broken off but I cant move the window high enough to get to it or to replace the motor if I have to
    thx again
    RichW

12. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ive been told the cable is no longer available

[/ QUOTE ] i just called the dealer out here and they have it in stock. here's the part # 12542292 it's about $37. as for getting to the motor and all, you just might have to take the window out of the sash to get full access to all of it. if you do, just clean the window and sash really well, and put a few layers of duct tape on the window to get it to fit tightly back into the sash. i did that when i replaced my sash 2 years ago, and it's still holding the window in place.

13. rdwest1369

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ive been told the cable is no longer available

[/ QUOTE ] i just called the dealer out here and they have it in stock. here's the part # 12542292 it's about $37. as for getting to the motor and all, you just might have to take the window out of the sash to get full access to all of it. if you do, just clean the window and sash really well, and put a few layers of duct tape on the window to get it to fit tightly back into the sash. i did that when i replaced my sash 2 years ago, and it's still holding the window in place.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks !!
    great thanks I guess the guy that was suppose to work on it didn' t bother to check thats one of the reasons I No longer go to him. I'll check with the dealer Monday thanks again
    Rich W