Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window electric to manual conversion.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1989k5, Mar 6, 2004.

1. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

Another question to ask. I have been having some trouble with my electic motor raising and lowering the window, some of the problem was window alignment in the track. I adjusted the track to tilt the window in, but the motor still struggles to run, in fact, I disconected it and cranked up the window using a vise grip on the end of the cable. I went to my favorite auto supply $ salvage to find an alternative. He has in stock a new manual crank which appears to be keyed at the end to fit into the cranking mechanism. My question: is my window lift able to be converted from electric to manual? When it was apart, I don't remember there being a place for the manual crank to hook up. Supposedly, by turning the key on the back, the electric motor will run the window up/down, but mine has never worked. I have an idea I would need to replace the lift mechanism, but please let me know if someone has had some similiar problems or solutions for fixing this. Thanks

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

As far as I remember, all you need to swap out to convert from electric to manual is the handle crank and the window regulator. The actual lifting regulators are different, so you have to change those and just remove the electric parts and be done with it.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Muddy's right. need regulater and outer handle.

4. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

Thanks guys for the responses, sorry for the delay, I'm currently working a stretch of nights and sleeping days, will be back among the living next week. I will probably take your advise and gut the electrical to the door, it has been a pain in the butt since I have had the truck anyway. Besides, I like the reliability of manual. I'll give a post sometime later if I'm successful.. Thanks again.

5. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

manual is fine until your handle breaks. make sure the inside is clean and lubed up.

6. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

It looks like it will run me aprox $200 bucks to do the conversion if I go with new parts. I don't have a good salvage yard resource up here that has any blazers lying around. I'm still weighing my options on what to do. I did put in new guides when I installed the new gate, but everything else is switched over from the original. I have priced the parts through lmc, does anyone know of another resource for a manual regulator. Thanks again.