Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window fixed!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bowtied, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

I just wanted to say that thanks to this site, I'm learning how to quickly fix all sorts of things on my Blazer. I made a post a while back about my rear window sticking and ftn96 told me how to fix it with a grinder (way cool, and worked like a charm!). Then just last week I posted about my rear window switch not working when trying to put the window up and KENNY gave me a good fix idea; adding solder to the worn switch contacts to reverse many years of use (dude, you saved me 50 bucks!!!)

ck5 RULES!

okay, I'll shut up now

Andy (Bowtied)

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Cool, This site is full of people that know their S**t when it comes to K5'5. :)

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

" Wider IS Better!!!"

3. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Yeah I just fixed my switch also, $30 but it only took 30min to do it. Worth the convience though.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

??? how did you fix the rear window with the grinder, and what was wrong with it (I missed it).

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

5. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, share the rear window info, mine hits a snag halfway and needs a boost over the hump. I had a guy replace the rear glass (cracked), he couldn't figure it out either. Of course, he brought a non-tinted rear window and proceeded to drop it and break it on my driveway, so I'm not surprised that he couldn't figure it out...

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]

6. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

Sorry I took so long getting back to you guys on the rear window fix, I don't get a chance to play on here as much as I'd like to!
    Okay, here goes: My rear window was hanging getting stuck about 8 inches from the top when trying to close it. It was obviously a mechanical problem, not an electrical one. I made a post and was told the following:

Remove the panel on the tailgait.

Open the tailgait and flip the latch on the drivers side, this makes it think that it is closed so you can extend the window.

Extend the window about half way. Take a moment and look at the location of the motor. Now look at the metal "U" channel that is attatched to the bottom of the window. If yours is like mine, you will note that when that "U" channel gets up to the bottom of the motor it actually catches on it.

Bust out your handheld grinder and grind down that small area of "U" channel that passes by the moter.

It probably took me longer to type this than it will for you to do it.

Once again, the knowledge from the folks at this site helped save time and money!

Hope this helps, and if you need the full details about the fix on the rear window key switch just let me know.

Andy (Bowtied)
    O yeah, If you extend the window out all the way with the tailgate down be sure to support the glass!