Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window/gate ???'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by killdozer88, Nov 29, 2000.

1. killdozer88

killdozer88 Newbie

Rear window/gate ???\'s

I'm looking for some info on my rear power window/tailgate. I attempted to get inside the gate to fix the slow/stuck window, and before I knew it the rail that holds the window got bent and now the whole thing is held up by rubber wedges. I have no idea what else is broken in there, I can't even look at it without getting upset. The rear gate is in rough condition, and I'm thinking of hitting some junkyards to find the whole assembly-power or manual. Anyone know what other years are compatible with an 88 full size Jimmy, f'rinstance, can I swap it with an '85? Also, any resources for aftermarket power window assemblies,(less expensive than dealer)? Any resources for rebuilding the guts correctly-helpful hints or secret assembly tips? Thanks!

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Re: Rear window/gate ???\'s

all i will say is good luck with finding one in a junkyard. it took me forever to find one.

BTW, does anyone know how to put down the window on a power tailgate if you dont have the key? I need to do this to get my new gate in 2 days, but i dont know how.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Not sure on Killdozer's problem... but to roll the window down.. you have to remove the tailgate access panel, and there is a screw in there.. think it's in the center that you can crank down with a drill just find the correct size bit and crank her down..

(updated) http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Shaggy, on the power gates the regulator is driven by a cable from the power motor, like a oversized speedo cable. Just undo the cable from the motor end and chuck the end of the cable into a drill and slowly reverse the drill and the window will go down.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

So the Cable just pops out from the motor?

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That cable is also the source of most "slow" window problems. The factory grease dries out with time and binds the cable inside the sleeve. It gets worse in cold weather. The cable doesn't come apart so you can clean and regrease it, but they aren't too expensive from the dealer. The window should work fine once you replace the cable.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I recently replaced the side tracks, the rollers, and window sash on my '90 Jimmy. Your '88 should be identical. Go to your local Chevy dealer and have him print out an exploded pic of the rear tailgate. This will give you a good idea as to what you will need and how it comes apart. Based upon what I saw in my tail-gate, I would not go to a junk yard for parts. Most of the problems are caused by dirt and rust. The dealer may be a little higher, but I can't imagine oredering the parts by mail and having problems with returns and wrong parts. I had that problem with some of my parts. If you broke the window sash, it holds the glass in place by means of a thin rubber strip. The only way you can purchase this from the dealer is in a 100' roll. I found that the felt in the window tracks on the sides had all worn off and was layin in the bottom of the tailgate and stopped up the drain holes. Installation is easy, it just takes a little patience.

8. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

While we are on the subject. What's involved in converting a crank window to a power window? Is it worth it?

Topless73

9. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

i just replaced my rear window.sash.the sash i had to get at a dealer i think it was 33 bucks.as far as the rubber that sits in the sash to hold the window in.just go to a auto glass shop.they gave me the rubber to hold the window in for free.at worst it should only be a couple of bucks

guns dont kill postal workers do.
    CENTRAL ILLINOIS

10. killdozer88

killdozer88 Newbie

Thanks Derf...Thanks everybody else, too. So far I've received more help in one day from this group than after a whole week of scrounging junkyards and dealerships. Well, at least the glass is covered by insurance.